Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my two rats home from the vet today to see if they have a URI. Edna, my black rat, has been coughing for a few days. Both of them have been sneezing since I got them two weeks ago. The vet checked their lungs, eyes, and nose. Their noses are clear, eyes are bright, their skin and fur are good, and their lungs are irritated, but there is no viral infection. Both of them have healthy appetites, are very active, and drink their water.

They are pet store rats. I know, not the best, but that was the only option for me. The breeders and rescues were too far away for me to travel. Some places were over two hours away one way. Also, I could not find any breeders near me who were selling their rats, so I got mine from a local petsmart. They were on CareFresh bedding before. Do you think they might still be irritated from their old bedding? They are on Kaytee Clean and Cozy right now. They have fleece on the shelves in their cage. My room was just cleaned too. Maybe the dust in my room was irritating them?

Their sneezes have gone down a lot from when I took them home, but Edna's coughing makes me really concerned. What can I do for them so their airways get better?

I know I can make the bathroom steamy. I saw that I can give them a hot water bottle in their cage, but it's way too hot for that. My air conditioning is broken, so I've been giving them some cold things to eat and play with. What other advice do you have for me? I want my babies to be healthy!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It may be from anything scented in your home like candles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no scented candles in my room. I told my sister to spray perfume in the bathroom and they never go downstairs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts