Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three rats Scar, Bandit, and Bernard. Scar and Bandit are young, I got them around the end of May beginning of June
at 5 weeks old. Around the middle of July I adopted Bernard who is around 1 1/2 -2 years old.

Bernard has never lived with another rat. His first owner mistreated him and the person I adopted him from found him in the middle of a side walk in the middle of winter outside of his cage. She rescued him and his owner all too willingly gave her all of his things (she never found out how he got outside). The woman who rescued him didn't know much about rats and wanted someone who has rats to take him. In comes me :)

Despite everything he's been through he's very sweet and gentle and loves to explore and is very much interested in Scar and Bandit.

The two younger boys live in a cage big enough for four rats and Bernard lives in one big enough for him. I'd love for them to be able to all live together because even though Bernard has never lived with other rats he's definitely craving attention and always seems interested in the boys.

Their cages are right next to one another and Ive tried doing intros in the bath tub. Every time I put them all together at first everyone ignores each other and then eventually Bernard goes over to one of the others and tried to groom them and be friendly and the boys squeak in terror and freeze. Once they freeze they won't move unless I touch them and even then they sniff me for a moment and go back to being frozen.

I know Bernard is being gentle and only wants to be friends. But my other boys seem so scared. I have this feeling that the carrier method would be a much better tactic in introducing the boys but I'd love some advice before I go any further and stress them out more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I hate that Bernard has to live alone because I know that no matter how much attention I give him he's still going to be bored when im not there and that makes me sad, but also makes me wonder if I can't ever get them to all live together should I find someone else who could spend more time with him?

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you're sure that Bernard is not being agressive toward them then there is no reason for you to intervene. Just ignore the squeaks and let them do what they're going to do. They'll eventually realize he's not hurting them and stop being so scared. If you intervene everytime then they'll just assume you saved them from imminent death and never realize he's friendly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts