Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know that rats have sensitive ears, and that's why I'm asking this.

Sometime in the next few months it looks like I'll be moving in with my boyfriend. He has a big house and a yard which will be good for my kitties, and agreed to clear out one of the extra rooms for my sewing stuff and the rats.

The extra room is downstairs. He works from home as a music producer, and his house is the practice space for his bands and also where the recording is all done. So at times, it can get very, very loud.

I'm just wondering how bad this will be for the rats? Even if I had them upstairs (which isn't an option) you still have to shout to talk over the noise.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's hard to know with rats sometimes. I try to keep the noise to a minimum just in case, but loud movies and music played in the room doesn't really seem to bother them that much.

I guess it depends on the rat and how nervous he or she is.

It could be something that they get used to.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Schmea said:
Oddly enough my rats LOVE it when I vacuum, even though I have the loudest vacuum in the world. So... you can never predict how they're going to respond to a noise until they hear it.
That's something I forgot to mention, my Doris haaaates the vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
How loud is it with the door closed? Maybe if you just keep them away from the wall that shares with the practice room, and make sure the doors always closed during loud music times it will be okay. You could check it out yourself, just sit in there and see sometime.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
we are metalheads in my house and have a tendency to play our music at volumes that would kill most peoples ears. i put my girls into my bedroom and shut the door when we are playing loud music or when i'm vacuuming. it doesnt block out all the noise but certainly reduces it enough that they can sleeeeeep through a good percentage of the noise.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine don't seem to mind noise either, I just don't want to worry about them going deaf! Even with the door to downstairs closed, upstairs it's still so loud I have to shout over it. Which I don't mind at all! I just worry for my rattie's health.

It's either they deal with it, or he builds a heated shed outside for them. I'm hoping they'll just deal with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts