Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today our flea market is having their big 40th anniversary celebration and I was of course going to bring little Naydeen along. But then I was thinking, and since it's a flea market where a lot of seedy people go, there's always lots of cigarette smokers and smoke from the greasy food vendors. Yesterday I smoked a cigarette for the first time and I hated it, the stench made me gag and inhaling it hurt and made me cough a lot, needless to say I'm definitely not becoming a smoker anytime soon. So I guess my question is, for those of you who take your rats out in public, do you ever get worried about polluted air? From now on I'm going to try and go to only no smoking areas or wide open parks, but you can't control it if a random person walks up to you who smokes or something else nasty and wants to say hi to your rat.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I smoke, and oddly Fuzzy Rat used to try to steal my cigarettes, literally taking them out of my fingers and running off with them.... On the other hand, all of my rats will eat ashes out of the ash tray and run off with butts. Second hand smoke is about 1 millionth the concentration of inhaling from an actual cigarette.

Most of the original studies on second hand smoke have been debunked. Air line employees get cancer to increased radiation from flying above the denser atmosphere, not from smokers in the cabin where the air is actually circulated every few seconds.

Most rats are built to survive polluted environments, think about where they live. They live in holes with radon gas, they live in subways and dumps... Rats have even survived H-Bomb tests. And my rats love spoiled food right from the trash bin. Yes I give it to them fresh, and they wait for it to spoil to retrieve it from the trash and eat it... It's not ripe if it's not moldy.

Yes there are greenhouse flowers in among our rats, but shoulder rats aren't among them. Being outdoors and experiencing the world actually makes them stronger and more resistant to the things we encounter out there... I've never had rats as healthy as those that played in the dirt...

My mom smoked when she was pregnant, it was the right thing to do in the 1950's and actually recommended to older women. I was literally born a smoker, and when I started smoking as a teenager, my grades actually went up.. Been smoking a few packs a day pretty much since... With the cost and the health risks to certain people, I don't recommend it. But unless she is a pretty frail greenhouse rat to start with, nothing at the flea market is likely to bother Naydeen, but keep an eye on her anyway.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh okay, thanks for your input. I guess I just though that if the smoke and scent irritated me, it would irritate her too. The flea market ended up being a disappointment anyways as our favorite vendor that sells the kettle corn both Naydeen and I love wasn't there for some reason

·
Registered
503 Posts
All I have to say is that my mother is a heavy smoker, as is her entire family, and every single one of our pets and her family members so far has died from heart conditions or cancer or both. When I sleep in my room, which is directly above her smoking room, I get sick.

I was sick my entire childhood from her cigarettes - the doctors even told us so. I had right around 7 surgeries before I hit elementary school because of her smoking (which I'm allergic to) causing reactions and major ear infections.

Please keep your rats away from cigarettes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rat daddy....I say this because I like you and want you to stick around for a while...switch to exits if you can! My partner in crime did and it's awesome! He's healthier and although it isn't the same it is a healthier alternative. *steps down from her soap box*.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pandora that's terrible :( thank goodness no one in my house smokes. Our family watched my grandfather die in his recliner from lung cancer from smoking all his life, and yet they continue to smoke. Thanks for sharing your story, I will not intentionally expose Naydeen to cigarettes of course. I wasn't asking if it was harmful or not because of course cigarettes are, I was just wondering if other people though/worried about that

·
Registered
159 Posts
We had these people stay at my house once and they slept in my room and when they left it smelled like my room was the inside of a cigaret box but they smoked in my room and left the butts under my dresser I was confused on why my rat was bringing me cigaret butts for weeks lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
We had these people stay at my house once and they slept in my room and when they left it smelled like my room was the inside of a cigaret box but they smoked in my room and left the butts under my dresser I was confused on why my rat was bringing me cigaret butts for weeks lol
Goodness me, how rude. Leaving the butts under your dresser. It's amazing how Ratties aren't put off with the smell - butts stink really bad. Lol...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wonder if rats can become addicted to nicotine like people can? If one cigarette is enough to make some people feel like they need to have more... how many "bites" to a cigarette would it need for a rat, tiny as they are and with such fast metabolisms, to want more, even if they were repulsed by it?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Ksaxton,

I'm not going to go into parts per thousand, parts per million, parts per trillion etc. But when you smoke a pack of cigarettes you are inhaling about as much smoke as a a second hand smoker living with a smoker might inhale in a year or perhaps a decade. Most rational people would agree that a pack of smokes a year isn't likely to be harmful to a normal person.

The human nose is able to detect odors in very minute concentrations, think about a smelly cheese or if someone opens a bottle of bleach or ammonia in the next room over... You can smell it long before the concentration is harmful to you.

There are certain people that have excellent health reasons to avoid second hand smoke, pollen, and other airborne contaminants, I appreciate their genuine health concerns and don't want to in any way be disrespectful to them, but for the most part, and I was there when everybody smoked, very few people are really that sensitive to second hand smoke. Yes, even back then I knew a someone that needed to live in a bubble and spent just about every moment outside the range of her air conditioner sick, but for the most part the second hand smoke thing is grossly over stated. That's not to encourage anyone to take up smoking, but there is a big difference between rational and not smoking and paranoid about staying 1000 feet from a smoker outdoors. I've actually seen parks that prohibit smoking... seriously? There isn't a chance that the cigarette smoke level could ever reach near the concentration of car exhaust gasses from the parking lot, and it's smokers that are banned?

For the most part rats aren't hot house flowers. I can't imagine what rats in dumps and sewer systems and subways are breathing nor those living in moldy basements or in walls lined with asbestos or those that thrive in chemical factories. Yes, you should use good judgment where you go and where you take your rat, but temper it with common sense. There are a great many risks to manage with a true shoulder rat second hand smoke or cooking fumes in an outdoor or large public space is about the least of your concerns... Despite being a smoker none of my rats have ever had a single respiratory issue. Although I suppose someone could argue that a smoke free environment would be better I can't think of a single situation in life where someone couldn't argue that things could be better.

And yes, my rats steal cigarette butts too and worst of all they snack ashes from the ash tray... which actually is a little creepy.

I've considered smoking alternatives, but most are still a bit pricey compared to buying tobacco in bulk. But years ago when I was in the hospital they gave me those patches and as I recall they worked pretty well too. Yes, years ago almost everybody smoked, now the same percentage of the population is on prescription stress meds. I'm not sure anything has really changed. I suppose the difference is mostly which department in your pharmacy you buy your poison from. Life really is strange sometimes...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Yes, rats can be addicted to nicotine. Studies have been done on this.

Please for the love of all that's good keep your rats away from smoke. And other pets too. It's so toxic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.