Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, me again. I swear something new happens every week for me and my boys, right? Anyway, My boys were fighting in this tube thing hanging from the top of their cage and it had a smaller hole on top of it. The hole is for them to peek their heads out but my boys were in the tube cuddling and i guess got in a fight and both of their torsos were in the hole and they were screaming bloody murder and i got up quickly and panicked and cut them out of it (Being very careful about it) and one i cut them out One of them ran for the corner and just stood there in shock and i put the other one under the covers of my bed. One of them sounds like he’s whimpering but i can’t tell if it’s that, or him wheezing. I’m so scared and it’s midnight so no vets are open and they’re not taking any treats or anything. I put them both under covers and im trying to comfort them but they look so scared. Please leave suggestions?

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
80 Posts
Poor boys, sounds like they are a bit traumatized. They might not have been fighting, it could be that one boy wanted to go through the hole on top of the tube and the other thought hey, great idea, and they ended up getting stuck in a hole only big enough for one rat, and they panicked. Probably couldn’t go forward or back and felt trapped and scared, and that spun them into a freak out. You did right to carefully cut them out, and it will probably take a little while for them to calm down and feel safe, but I’m betting they will be fine. Just be quiet and gentle with them, and have some really yummy treat they don’t usually get, something they can lick off your finger like yogurt. After a while I’m guessing they’ll timidly be willing to take a lick or two of something yummy, and gradually start to feel safe again. Hopefully there are no injuries and it was just fear due to being stuck. Good luck to you and your boys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poor boys, sounds like they are a bit traumatized. They might not have been fighting, it could be that one boy wanted to go through the hole on top of the tube and the other thought hey, great idea, and they ended up getting stuck in a hole only big enough for one rat, and they panicked. Probably couldn’t go forward or back and felt trapped and scared, and that spun them into a freak out. You did right to carefully cut them out, and it will probably take a little while for them to calm down and feel safe, but I’m betting they will be fine. Just be quiet and gentle with them, and have some really yummy treat they don’t usually get, something they can lick off your finger like yogurt. After a while I’m guessing they’ll timidly be willing to take a lick or two of something yummy, and gradually start to feel safe again. Hopefully there are no injuries and it was just fear due to being stuck. Good luck to you and your boys!
thank you so much. one of them is pretty normal again and the other is getting there. they both are on medicine but one of them has really bad respiratory issues and he sounds extremely congested. like he keeps sneezing over and over and they’re loud and there sounds like a lot of fluid in his nose, but he went to the vet two days ago and they said his lungs were fine. only after this incident his sneezes are so so nasty and bad all of a sudden.

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
80 Posts
On the sneezes, he probably was breeding faster from the fear and stress, and it’s dried out his nose a bit more and caused him to sneeze more. It does sound worrying that the boy is congested and not improving. What kind of medication has the vet tried so far?

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
80 Posts
On the sneezes, he probably was breeding faster from the fear and stress, and it’s dried out his nose a bit more and caused him to sneeze more. It does sound worrying that the boy is congested and not improving. What kind of medication has the vet tried so far?
Haha, breathing, not breeding! That would be a bigger problem…

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, breathing, not breeding! That would be a bigger problem…
hahaha that would be the worst. and honestly, i think i’ve found the issue. So i have been forgetting to turn my humidifier off during the day and i really think that may be why BOTH of my boys sound congested. (I’m very forgetful😕) I’ve definitely turned it off and i may set reminders to turn it on and off during the day because i turned it off late last night and they sound a lot better this morning. I also do believe it sounded a lot worse because he was breathing really fast. Also he’s been on baytril twice and he’s on meds for his recent ear infection currently (but he refuses to take them and i’ve tried everything so i’m just going to have to call my vet on monday when they’re open to see what other options i have, because i’ve tried every food i have, peanut butter mixed with bread, chocolate, savory things, my last ditch effort was putting the meds straight in his mouth but he’s too wiggly and seals his mouth shut.) But when i did get the meds from the vet three days ago, they checked his lungs and said everything was fine. So i really have no idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts