Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small space heater in my room with the rats because otherwise it get really cold in there. It got bumped up sometime late this morning. When I went in my room just now it was BOILING. I immediatly ran to check on my rats. Squirt was curled up panting some, and Gaia seemed okay. I sprung into action and moved both of their cages near the window, I turned on th ceiling fan FULL SPEED, I opened the window, and used a piece of cardboard to fan some cold air into the room. After I got it cooled down some I made each of them a paper towel soaked in ice water and rung out. I placed it on one end of the caged so that they had the option to go cool off. They are both acting completly normal now that it cooled off in the room. Will they be okay?!?!?! I got rid of the space heater for now. I feel so stupid! I'm such an idiot!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
They should be fine as long as the temperature is back to normal; doesn't sound like the heat was too horrible. If you need it warmer in the room than you think they are comfortable with you can always freeze a water bottle or jar of water to place in their cage. Some rats will eat the plastic bottle, so a glass jar might be the best option, just depends on your rats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts