Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Cloud our old girl, approaching two years now has been winding down for the past few months... No tumors or any signs of illness... she's just been getting fatter and lazier... She's been about as active lately as any average stuffed animal... She just lays around, some days she doesn't even bother to go out of her cage to go to her secret nest in the cabinet. Lately one eye has even been getting glued shut when she sleeps. Sometimes she just pees where she sleeps and her nails have grown long and round from inactivity. Her hair is starting to thin out and she just looks old... I mean really old.

Then yesterday morning I come in to find her up against the cage bars asking to be let out... So I let her out and she starts walking around and exploring, stopped by to hang out with me and seemed otherwise relatively active for over half an hour... then she went to her secret nest and tidied it up and slept until about 8:00 PM when she got up again and stayed up for a few hours.... Sort of nice to see... but I wrote it off to a fluke.

This morning she wanted to get out of the cage again, so I let her... a few minutes later I hear her tunneling through the kitchen trash... she hasn't done this in months. Then she climbed up a broom stick and up onto the radiator... again the last time she did this was in pursuit of a snickers bar someone left unattended on the dishwasher some months ago... She actually looks thinner and younger.

The only difference in her diet is that the wife brought home some fresh cranberries, which I gave to the rats two days ago...

Is there anything about rats and cranberries that might explain this change? Has anyone else ever tried feeding fresh cranberries to their rats? Oddly... it's nice to see Cloud in the trash again...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I love hearing about your rattie antics, Rat Daddy! Anyway, cranberries are packed with goodies and antioxidents. I don't do cranberries (although the girls were able to enjoy a few fresh ones I saved from Thanksgiving when I was making my sauce) but I give my girls fresh blueberries frequently.

In fact, I replaced their treats with them. They don't get any treats other than fresh fruit.

I have girls that are almost 3. They have large tumors but still act like babies. They run around, they play, they climb, and they get into more things than some of my younger rats.

I don't know if its the blueberries that keep them young, but I know berries in general make fantastic healthy snacks for ratties. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts