Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found that they chewed a hole between the layers in their baby blanket I use to cover the bottom of their cage and one has started sleeping in between the felt layers. They do this with their hammock as well but their hammock is so small compared to the blanket. Is this gonna cause some issues? Im more or less concerned they will suffocate in there or something.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My boys do that with fleece anything that goes into their cage and they haven't suffocated so far. I'm more worried about them overheating this summer in their sleep.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rats like to be hidden when they sleep, mine do this too. They're not dumb, they will not suffocate themselves or get too hot. They'll move if they're uncomfortable. Maybe get them an igloo? My boys LOVE to sleep in a house I made for them out of 2 plastic storage baskets; I attach them with pipecleaners to make a box, ( like this, imagine "[" is one basket: [] ) and then cut a big enough hole out of one of the baskets to make a door, and since these baskets are usually full of holes, it gives them good airflow in there too. I'd recommend that! Mine stopped burrowing once I made this for them to sleep in.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a lot of old ferret hammocks and sleep sacks and the ratties like to make additions to them. I've never had any issues with them sleeping between layers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd be careful if there's any tatty thread. My rat chewed up a towel and nearly choked to death because the thread got caught around her neck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts