Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first time visiting this site and also posting so forgive me if I’m unfamiliar with how this works.

I was hoping to get some advice. My rats, two girls- sunny and bean, ran out of their favorite food maybe a month ago. I have a big bag of backup food left over from before I switched over to the stuff they like better. So that’s what they had been eating for a bit while I waited to get paid so I could get them more of the good stuff.

Ever since then, when I fill up their food bowls, (there’s two in the cage, one on the top level and one on the bottom level) it’s empty the next day. They’re nesting it all away in their little running tube. Then they’ll stand on their empty food bowl and stare at me through the cage door as if to beg me for more food. Despite having an absurd amount nestled away. As I type this, Bean gave up begging me for more and just got some from her nest and started eating.

Is there a way I can stop them from doing this so I can actually tell how much food they have left?

·
Registered
784 Posts
It's possible that they like the other food better and they're emptying their bowl so you can refill it with their favorite food. If they've never hoarded food before, perhaps they're actually this smart.

For food stashing in general, I usually suggest covering their food bowls with a scrap of paper or fabric to make it more hidden. This way they won't feel the need to hide it elsewhere. Another option would be to ditch the food bowls completely and switch to scatter feeding. This requires a bit more measuring and paying attention because you only want to give them enough food to last until the next feeding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts