Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My place has carpet throughout, except the kitchen. I was wondering what those of you with carpets do when your rats free range. I don't want their urine to stain or smell up the carpets but I also want them to be able to run around, even if it's a sectioned off area.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have all carpet to except the kitchen and the bathroom , I take them in the bathroom and let them run around for awhile with no rugs down , it keeps them active and busy then when they go back to their cage I just go back and do a quick mop of the floor

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't have carpet on my floors but I have a few rugs. I just litter trained my girls, and in the cage they have a small pet litter pan, but throughout the house I have cheap plastic cat litter pans filled with their regular litter, so they always have a litter pan nearby.

I know there are bird diapers, but maybe you could find (or make) rat diapers too?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just put down an old sheet, but my girls have trained themselves to only potty in the cage. At first I just put them back in the cage every 15 minutes or so to remind them to go in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about the sheet idea but was unsure if their pee would leak through. Bathroom is definitely an option, and hmm, rat diapers. I will have to think on that. I feel like they would just pull them off, especially when they start grooming.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What about a cheap dollar store shower curtain & lay the sheet or blanket over it . That way pee wouldn't soak into the rug . I wouldn't let them stay unattended incase they may chew it . You can wash the shower curtain on delicate cycle. Or Maybe find some large pieces of cardboard instead , just tossing some ideas out .If they do make critter diapers , wouldn't they be made of plastic also ? I've seen people on Youtube use sheets of plastic to cover over a couch w/ blanket over it for rattie free range . Don't even know if they would bother chewing on it :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't imagine my girls wearing diapers, I'd bet they'd have it off, or be chewing on each other's, in seconds!! I don't have much carpet, but whenever I get my girls out I use sheets, or blankets. I don't notice too much soak-through, but I think my girls have also learned to avoid going when not in the cage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts