Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

is it safe to leave my rats in there cage while i move!i'm moving them to scotland due to my new career and i'm not leaving them behind! i'm just a little worried that they will get a little warm in the car 8O
any thoughts greatfully recived!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As long as the cage fits, there's no reason not to keep them in it. :)

A few tips... We moved 1100 miles with a dog, cat and 4 rats (back when that's all we had... ha!) with no problems. We also transport rats back and forth through a few states often. :)

Never, ever put a rat cage on the floor of a car. There's a problem with airflow in the back and in the front, there's a SEVERE risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Keeping them on seats is fine. I belt cages in when I can, but I'm paranoid. ;)

Take off the water bottles while you're on the road, and give some fresh fruit with high water content to keep 'em hydrated. If it's a long drive, make sure to give them their water bottles when you make rest stops.

Don't leave them in a car without it running for any length of time. It's just not safe. I like to keep the A/C on to slightly chilly to keep everyone comfortable. Just as long as there IS A/C, they'll be fine. Unless it's winter, then heat is what you'd need. ;) [Tying to cover all basis for people that might find this post via search later on.]

Of course, if you stop for the night (if it's a long drive), be sure and bring them INTO the hotel when you're in there! Don't leave them in the car overnight!

Other than that, it's pretty easy. Rats will mostly sleep during travel. Make sure you've got hidey boxes for them, they will probably hang out in there most (if not all) of the time. :)

I think I've covered most of the bases. Someone might have more to add that I'm not thinking of

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Also don't get too nervous if there is a little bit of heavy breathing or some small sneezes. when rats get a little stressed they tend to show it in their breathing. Just keep an eye on them and make sure there is nothing too serious going on.

Are you traveling by car or by plane?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
thanks kimmie only way I know that is because with working with the rescue I have had rats transported to and from me and I always get that panicked email "Why is she sneezing? Did you give me a sick rat?" I always soothe them and tell them to just watch for the next week or so because of the travel and a new home LoL.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
you might want to consider putting a tarp or heavy old blanket or similar across the back of the seat, too... just in case your ratties decide your car needs airconditioned seats...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys!

i'm travelling by car with a dog! it's only a little car so we was gonna drop the seats down and put them in the back.

do you think that would be safe!

it's the first time i've moved with pets!

except the horse but they not difficult to move!!!!

any suggestions on which fruits because my rats are fussy eaters they don't like apple all that much!

they only have it in small does though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts