Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my boys yesterday and they've been wonderful (besides working on potty training lol) but they're only staying on the upper level of the cage. I'm assuming they just don't want to be away from each other yet, but I've had to move the litter box up there and it's getting a little cramped. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Is there a hammock up there they really like? They probably have come down for a brief period of time. You try putting a bowl full of yummy things like yogurt or veggies and fruit on the bottom level. But because they are new they are probably just adjusting and the top level feels the safest for them.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Rats that come from places where they weren't allowed to explore often act like potted plants when you get them... They just stay in one place. In time they will build up their confidence to explore. We adopted a severely neglected girl that sat on my desk growing roots for 3 weeks... then the super storm hit and we were in the dark for the next three weeks... in the quiet and darkness she found her courage and disappeared pretty much until the lights came back on... She turned out to be quite a thief stealing a bag of Halloween snickers bars to keep her fed while she was off exploring the darkness.... When the lights came back on she was still reclusive, but wouldn't stay put anywhere for more than a few minutes. Your rats will get over their potted plant phase in time, not to worry.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
sorry posted in the wrong thread my mistake

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
You just got them yesterday....give them some time to adjust :)

They are likely a bit confused being moved to this new place and need to get used to the new smells, sounds, sights.

For any new pet they need a window to adjust before being very comfortable. Give them a week and they will be more comfortable.

For litter box training I actually suggest having one on every level anyways. Most rats are not super easy to train and even the ones that do use it, it can be iffy. I wouldn't worry if they are not using it right away. It may take alot of time/effort before they do so regularly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like ratdaddy's reference to potted plants. When I first got my girls and put them in their SCN, they hunkered down on the bottom level in a tissue box for about the first two weeks. Mine were planted in that box. The only time I saw them was when I got the box out and basically forced them out of it. But now, they are everywhere. They climb and explore every inch of that cage, their rat play pen and me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts