Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two African soft haired rats (yes I'm aware that they aren't really rats) that I got from a pet store, that was selling them as food. I was prepared to be patient, as they had never been handle, I was ready for this. What I was not ready for was that everytime I pick them up( it's very hit and miss wither they'll allow me to) and place them in my palm, to give them a treat for allowing me to pick them up, they give it 5sec and then pee a lovely puddle into my hand. Swap them to my other hand to clean the first 5secs more and they have created another puddle in my hand. Also they keep using the wheel as a litter box as they run and it's really really gross(i do clean it regularly). And I don't know what to do. I can place them on my shoulders, which they like alot more then sitting in my hand, but they'll do the same thing. Or sometimes they'll move to sit at the nape of my neck then the pee goes all down my back. Side note they also poop alot when I bring them out. Help.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think they're just scared when you pick them up. Once when I was younger my dad caught a frog and picked him up, and the frog peed all over his hands, LOL! (we put him back outside)

As far as I know, African soft furs are nothing like rats and mice, and will never be able to bond with you like that. They're more comparable to hamsters. I personally categorize them as more of "observation" pets as they don't enjoy being handled very much. So while they may stop peeing when you hold them, I think they'll always be at least a little scared of being handled.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
849 Posts
I was going to get a few from my local breeder but I decided against it because she said they were "observation" pets. I would suggest just leaving them in their cage unless they show they want to come out (Jumping at the sides of the cage, chewing on the bars, etc.). I know it can be hard not interacting with them.

(Edited for grammar)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Most rodents are prey animals, and most don't like to be handled. Mice, gerbils, hamsters, etc. are generally frightened of most everything. And they pee when they're scared. I think that's why rats are so popular, and they are less afraid.

Reactions: Willow&Whiskers
1 - 8 of 8 Posts