Rat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so last night about 8:00-8:30ish my cell rings.. I pick it up it's officer Dunn with the Branson police department.. He's calling me because he knew I use to raise rat and such and wondered if take in about 30 to 40 that have been left in a abandon house.. I told them they should take them to the vet first and then call me and i'd be happy to take them in.. I use to work very closely with the police and animal shelter here before our house fire.. Just stopped after everything happed.. anywhoo looks like i got to get busy making more rattie cages.. wish me luck.... and ill keep you all updated as time goes on..

·
Registered
730 Posts
Make sure you do a proper QT first. No telling what all those poor rats might have, and you don't want to risk passing anything on to your own rats.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh i totaly thought of that first lol.. yeah this id going to be long and hard so if any of you know anything helpful let me know i need lots of advice.. I have alot of knowledge already but any info is welcomed..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well i have now gotten 4 males and 5 females one momma had had her littler if 21 babies and 2 others are due in like a week tops.. i dont know if any of the males are the father or not but this is going to be a chore.. and there more on the way...

ok got a qustion should i find these baby rats a home or no what do i do with them sence there most likely not pedigreed rats... but then again none of mines is pedigreed...

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
They are a standard oops litter, of course you try to rehome them. :)

I'm not sure what pedigrees have to do with anything.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Woah, your brave to take such a big amount on :) ..

My only concern about it is (besides the QT part) is couldn't some of them have anger issues and possibly bite?

Oh yeah .. good luck :D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Not an anger issue, more of a neglect/abuse issue, I think is what you meant? :)

I agree - QT is extremely nessecary in cases like this. If you're not used to so many rats at once, I'd enlist the help of everyone you know, to take as few or many rats as they can handle. Trust me on this - you WILL get overwhelmed with so many if you're not used to it.

Start taking photos and posting them everywhere possible for adoption. If there's a rescue close by, let them know the situation. You'll value their resources, they may have fosters that can help, and they too may be able to help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is very sweet of you. I am also very happy that you are able to work with local government. I like it when communities find ways of working things out, and working together.

I know it will be hard to care for so many rats, but if you have done it before, I am sure you will do fine, and hopefully, you can find some loving homes for the little tiny guys, and also provide a loving home, for the older, more wild of the bunch. (It is hard to hear about stuff like this... because, well, it is hard enough to tame some pet store rats, I can only imagine abused ones)

The little tiny guys are kindof the ray of hope, since they will come out of this hand raised, human friendly, and happy to take to any loving owner.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I really don't know what to say other than... girl you git your hands full!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You could potentially have over a hundred rats in very short time.

I feel you may have to make realistic choices over what could be classified as moral choices in the long run.

Best case scenario, if you want to save the lives you are dealing with... e-spay those girls ASAP. Yes, it is a harsh choice but so is letting a bunch of females drop a $h*t-load babies & then you have to go out to find homes for them all with people you know nothing about. That is harsher than harsh. I know I have lost sleep at night just placing a few babies with people I hardly knew. I couldn't conceive doing this with the numbers you may soon face.

A good thing to keep in mind is that not one of us can save them all... all we can do is do our best to save a few or even one & then take pride in the fact that we are able to provide a shining future for those we could realistically help.

Good luck with it all

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
wow, that is going to be a lot more rats then 30-40 very soon. especailly if they all have big litters. i agree with passion here, i know a lot of people are against it on a moral standing but e-spays are really needed here. if all the rats the cop said are healthy enough for you to take in and only half are female likely most of which are pregnant and they have the average litter sizes of 12-13, in about two weeks you're looking at approximately 280-300 rats. no one can handle that many. 40 rats are going to be more then enough to find homes for and rehab. and i'm sure that if you explain the situation to the vet they will give a discount on the costs at the very least.

in any case good luck. i had to find homes for 24 babies once and that was difficult. i started advertising them as soon as i found out the numbers on them and some were still 6 almost 7 months old before they found homes. and some had been returned too. this is a big undertaking you've gotten yourself involved with. looking for help in the community would probably be a good idea. try to find as many rescue organizations as possible to at least help advertise. please keep us updated on how this works out.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh yeah, I echo the e-spays for as many as you can get done. Contact local animal control, shelters, etc... They may be able to spay some for free or cheap.

I also wanted ot re-emphasize getting help with this... Especially if you can't get e-spays ASAP. You are going to be severely overrun. :\

If there's anything Rattie Love Rescue can do - even just spreading the word - let me know.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Okay, here's some people to contact. If they're not close, they may know of resources closer. :) I'm sure you know some, just wanted to help!

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MO187.html
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MO208.html

http://www.animalshelter.org/shelters/Missouri.asp
Animal shelters in MO

http://www.spoiledratten.com/
They are a breeder but may have contacts that could help.

Vets:

Sunshine Animal Hospital
3235-A East Sunshine
Springfield, MO 65804
417-889-0090

Emergency Veterinary Clinic of SW MO, Inc
2130 S Glenstone
Springfield, MO 65804
417-890-1600

AllphinVeterinary Clinic
10669 State Highway 76
417-272-8000
Branson West, MO 65737

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Allphin is my vet he knows me personally lol i got my cat i adopted neutered thu him and i take my dogs to him.. ill ask him how much is it to spay tthe females..

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm going to say something that may be viewed as very unpopular... you may want to let the rats that are not with you already be humanly put down unless there are others that can step in & take them.

I'm not saying this because I want to see the negative... I'm saying this because realistically I can't see how anything about this is going to be positive unless a Christmas miracle happens & you find a great person for every pregnant female you end up with & they are able to foster & place each litter. I truly am an optimist, the glass is always half full with me but I will be floored if there are not some statistical losses with this situation.

I started thinking at the math on this & I have to second Twitch's math on this. You could be dealing with numbers of far more than 300. This horrible situation is going to require an army of people to make it work out. Even with that I think you are faced with a situation where the pool is going to be flooded beyond it's capacity & at the end of the day it is the rats that are going to suffer. They may be shut up in crowded cages with nothing more than food & water & a frazzled caretaker that can only run past them while rushing to meet the absolutely most basic of needs.

You have 5 females now & 2 of which you know are going to have a litter. You may come to find that the other 3 females are all preggers as well. That right there could put you at 100. This alone is far more that 1 person can handle even if you stayed with them 24/7 & never left home.

Hun, you need to stop the insanity now. There is no way you will be able to go this alone with no resources.

No one is going to think poorly of you for having to do something like that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
u took care of over 70+ rats im not boasting about it but i CAN handle this.. i know its a big job but my husband works and i stay at home with my 2 kids i have nothing else to do..

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I took care of 70+?? I am not sure I posted that info or not but yes, I have had as many as that in my home but I alone did not care for them. I had a team of volunteers helping out.

All in all there was 10 of us involved with raising & caring for them. I had three people who came over twice to three times a week to clean cages from top to bottom, not just dump litter & replace. The entire cage was washed & sterilized. I'm trying to recall but I think I had 10 or 12 cages at that time. While this was going on there would be a few of us playing with the ratties. We would work in pairs & take 5 or 10 rats into the play room I had set up. This room was dedicated to just the rats. We would play with them & of course our 5 or 10 would run & mingle with someone elses 5 or 10 but we made sure everyone was handled & played with. We had to make sure we did this so that only girls were out or only boys were out.

This was done daily but even with 10 volunteers a day could get skipped so sometimes when I had a day alone I wasn't able to get them out. Like I would have liked to do.

Personally, I don't see how you with the aide of 1 husband & two kids will pull it off but if you do... God Bless ya!!

I give you kudos for wanting to try, really I do.

Good luck with it. My guess is that with all of that going on we won't be hearing back from you all that often. No way you will be able to offer the care required & be able to surf the net.

Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no ment I've taken care of over 70+ befor lol not u lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok well i had a suprize on christmas.. my other rat decided to have her babies and she only had 2 it looks like.. well that take alittle of my back... :|

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.