·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been so long since I have had rats in my life, but in less than a week,
I will be heading off to go and pick up my three rescue boys Maximus, Atlas
and Gustavus, "Gus". I have been watching this forum for awhile, and for
some reason got the urge to create an account in case I feel a question might
be necessary, since I might be a bit rusty with all of this after the years. Wish
my boys luck on settling into their new home <3

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Unfortunatly the rescue did not come through. After being ignored for several days, I asked if they had yet decided on a specific location and they informed me that I would have to drive the full five hours to get them, which just isn't possible with my lack of comfort driving long, unknown distances. I told them it wouldn't be able to happen and added I would instead rescue from a local pet store, and they practically insulted me telling me to go make the world a worse place by supporting pet stores. I most certainly do not regard the rescue in the same light as I did beforehand. Although it is unfortunate, I am sure those three lovely boys will find a home in no time, and I will be going to a local pet store tomorrow in search of some boys needing a loving home, rather than become snake food. I'm disappointed, but it happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chins n Friends located in Kentucky. They are a great rescue, but things just didn't work out I assume because of the distance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's horrible and they should never shame you in my opinion. Please do post pictures when you get a rat though, can't wait to see them!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! That's harsh of them. I feel guilty that I can't get rats from a rescue centre because I live in a rural area in the UK, and rats aren't common pets. I've spent hours looking at them, but the closest I could find (through Gumtree, not even a centre!) was a three hour drive away. I don't want to take new animals on a three hour drive when they're being removed from their usual environment! Imagine the stress of the whole thing. And it'd be a 6 hour journey for me and the hubby. No thanks! Going pet shop now, which is a shame because I don't want to fuel the breeding practice (I'd never personally go to a dog or cat breeder because I don't trust the culture of it all, so rodents might be the same!) but then I look at it the way you did, and see it as rescuing them from the pet shop who'd probably just 'dispose' of the unsold babes :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, it truly makes me feel better to have the support. I have always felt the same way about not supporting the breeding of animals, but then I think about the fact that the pet store I am going to tends to take in accidental litters from people struggling to find them homes, and also the fact that most rats aren't even bred to be pets, but rather snake food... so rescuing 3-4 boys isn't going to make a huge difference, they are likely always going to be put out as snake food. So why not take those wonderful little souls and give them the life that they deserve? I actually got my first two rats from a pet store years ago, and I never regretted my decision. They were from the same store I will be purchasing from now, and they lived happy, fulfilled lives. Wish me luck on finding the perfect baby boys to bring home with me today

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks everyone, it truly makes me feel better to have the support. I have always felt the same way about not supporting the breeding of animals, but then I think about the fact that the pet store I am going to tends to take in accidental litters from people struggling to find them homes, and also the fact that most rats aren't even bred to be pets, but rather snake food... so rescuing 3-4 boys isn't going to make a huge difference, they are likely always going to be put out as snake food. So why not take those wonderful little souls and give them the life that they deserve? I actually got my first two rats from a pet store years ago, and I never regretted my decision. They were from the same store I will be purchasing from now, and they lived happy, fulfilled lives. Wish me luck on finding the perfect baby boys to bring home with me today
I got my first two rats from a feeder bin. One of which we still have (sadly his brother passed away recently). He is the sweetest thing you could ever imagine. Rescues are great but it is also nice to save one or two from being eaten. Speaking of Chins n Friends, I contacted them as well recently and was not pleased with their responses. Have you tried Rattie Tattie or EARPS? I am from the Louisville KY area and I just recently adopted two lady rats from EARPS. They are fantastic. They actually have 2 really sweet bonded boys up for adoption at the moment. I don't know how close you are to the Indianapolis area, but that is where they are located! EARPS.org :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts