Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned rats for several years, and was wondering about what they may need sexually. I currently have only two females. I've read quite a few reports that sex is healthy and almost needed for humans, and am wondering if my rats may need that one thing that I cannot give them. For moral, economic, and caring reasons I don't think I could ever have them spayed (and of course, the mating ritual of rats seems a little too much like rape for me to handle on a regular basis).

They loved the boys (would grab through the cage when I would let them run around) while they were still around, and I wonder if it's unhealthy to sequester them in an all-female environment.

They're sisters and about two years old. Does anybody have any advice/experience in this area?

Thank you,
Kevin

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are old ladies now anyway being at 2 years old so to put them with a male would be dangerous to the females when they gave birth. They have no need to have a mate. they are just as healthy being kept in single sex groups. Sex is healthy for humans, but that doesnt make it healthy for rats, everytime they would mate they would get pregnant so stressing the females out to keep having litter after litter of babies. Keep it as they are, Im sure they are happy, if they werent they would let you know and it wouldnt be because they didnt have a male!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts