Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Petco Rat Manor for my two girls. I use fleece with puppy pads underneath on the shelves, and I put a wooden house on one of the shelves for them to hide in. I also have a hammock available, but they don't seem to use the hammock and seem to sleep in the wooden house instead. I usually change the liners in my cages once a week, and I noticed that there was a lot of peeing under the house. I think what they're doing is sitting in that house a lot, and that's where they're doing most of their peeing, in the same place where they sleep. I am trying to litter train them but I'm not sure I can break them of the peeing habit. One of them was a lone rat for a while and used to sit and hide in another house and pee there. It does have me worried that if this continues it could lead to a respiratory infection. It can't be all that healthy. Do most rats just pee where they sleep? Should I just be changing the liners under the sleeping house more frequently than in the rest of the cage?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Someone said that puppy pads aren't good for rats because they contain pheromones. I could be wrong, but it is worth investigating.

My rats always pee in their hammocks, but not in their space pods. My late rat would poop in her food dish...! Yuck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I was unaware of them being potentially bad for rats. A lot of people on forums say they use them, and they've been convenient for absorbing pee and not making a mess, but I'm doing some searching now and have been getting some mixed results on whether they might be bad.

One of my rats keeps pooping in his hammock!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Litter training needs allot of patience. I would suggest putting their litter tray right next to the house, or even remove the house completely. The secret about litter training is to have their scent only in the litter tray and nowhere else. So you would have to change the liner under the house daily.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Within a few days of changing the liners, the layers of liners under the house were pretty pee-soaked and the rats themselves had started to smell again (which is what gets me worried about respiratory stuff), so I decided to put fresh liners where the house was and remove the house for the time being and see what happens. I feel kind of guilty because I know they really liked sleeping together in that house and the cage looks bare without it. But, they also have a hammock that maybe they'll start using and they like to burrow under the fleece. I may consider getting a plastic basket for them to rest in; easier to clean.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wouldn't use a wooden house tbh. They get nasty pretty fast and soak in the pee so it's a nightmare to get rid of the smell. When I rescued Blaze he came with a wooden hut and it was pretty disgusting when i took a good look at it so I just trashed it. You could use one of those plastic igloos or a small box that can easily (and cheaply) be replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.