Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 of my daughters rats, 4 months old males have been sneezing every once in a while as of late. maybe twice a day or every other day.
their noses are also a bit moist, but not drenched. Their behavior has not changed, they're appetites are great and they are not showing signs of lethargy, hunching or anything else.
daughter listened to their lungs and breathing and all perfectly normal. no porphyrin around the eyes, but sometimes around the nose, but I think that seems to be from recent stress more than anything. it has been very hot as of late, and my daughter does have a fan in her bedroom to keep them cool. its not exactly directly on them, as she coveres the top cage with a towel so they are not hit with a draft but the air from the fan circulates from the bottom and cools the cage down. they also have cooling marble slabs inside the cage to keep them cool. shes planning on getting them a humidifier to help. were not sure if they are actually getting sick, or its the dry air, or if its just their carefresh bedding.
our vet, the only exotic vet near us is currently closed due to covid, and we cant take them in for a checkup.

what do you guys think it is?

·
Super Moderator
115 Posts
Change the bedding, go vet, the sooner you can catch a respiratory infection with antibiotics the better.

Don't create drafts it's not good for their noses. Rats don't sweat like people! Blowing air on them does not cool them down (unless they are wet) as rats do not sweat

1 - 2 of 2 Posts