Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got two rats about 2 1/2 weeks ago. They have been sneezing since then. It isn't constant sneezing, just sometimes. Is this a URI? I have had mice get this before but when they had it along with the sneezing, they had audible clicking sounds when breathing. Could it be something else? I would really prefer not to take them to the vet, it will be extremely expensive, and my parents refuse to pay for anything pet related. I am only in middle school but I had to earn $300 just to buy the rats (and I'm still $100 in debt from that) and I really don't know how to tell them they need a vet. My rats don't have any other signs of URI like audible breathing, their eyes, coat, etc. looks the same, they are eating and drinking fine, they are extremely energetic. Could a URI actually kill them? And how long would it take? And also, could they spread it to my mice? Thanks! I'm really desparate here, I've been holding this off in hopes of just new house sneezes...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Every rat is infected with the Mycoplasma virus. My rat Gandalf is an excited sneezer.. I mean, if it's not constant. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I'm in bed so it's quiet and I hear a sneeze between my two rats every 15 minutes or so... I don't know if that is constant or not.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Eh. It seems pretty regular. :c

·
Registered
624 Posts
Do you mean it sounds regular like normal? Or that it seems regular like too constant...
Sorry, hi!

It sounds pretty repetitive. Like, happening too much.
My Gandalf only sneezes when he gets excited. :c

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmm, I dunno. New home sneezes don't usually last 2 1/2 weeks.
If you really can't afford a vet, maybe you could try some home remedies and see if they help?
Childrens Benadryl can help with some things...
Or if its bacterial, raw honey and grapefruit seed extract or oil of oregano can help, many people say it works wonders and I'm trying it myself right now (though in my case because my vet won't give me a proper course of antibiotics and won't listen to me when I tell them my rats need more that a week or two worth so they don't get completely better and they're the only vet in town who will even see rats grr).

·
Registered
624 Posts
(though in my case because my vet won't give me a proper course of antibiotics and won't listen to me when I tell them my rats need more that a week or two worth so they don't get completely better and they're the only vet in town who will even see rats grr).
I totally know how that is.. It's extremely irritating..

Home remedies sound like a good alternative at this point if you can't afford a Vet visit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will a URI endanger them? If not taking them to a vet is going to kill them, I guess I COULD go to the vet, but I wouldn't make up all that money for years, and would not be able to spend any money on new toys for them ever... And I asked earlier, but could it spread to my mice?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I mean, if your rat's immune system does manage to fight the URI, it is possible that your rat can be left with scarring to the respiratory tract, meaning they're more susceptible to getting infections in the future. It's possible that future URI infections can be MORE aggressive and harder to treat, with a higher risk of fatality.

So, it's really in your best benefit to treat your rat. ASAP.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Will a URI endanger them? If not taking them to a vet is going to kill them, I guess I COULD go to the vet, but I wouldn't make up all that money for years, and would not be able to spend any money on new toys for them ever... And I asked earlier, but could it spread to my mice?
Only you know your financial situation. I, for one, won't tell you what you should do with your money, as I wouldn't want somebody telling me how to handle my finances.

People on these forums are VERY passionate about rats and want the best health care for the rats. And that certainly is NOT a bad thing. :) However, when all is said and done and you have to decide between a vet visit or gasoline for your car (to get to work) or food for your children... you need to take into consideration all factors.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Also, you may want to look at their environment. If the air is too dry, drafty or if the bedding is too dusty it can cause sneezing and make any URI they have worse. Any strong smells are bad too.
What are you using for bedding and how often are you cleaning?
I use fleece and clean every other day to prevent smells.

Dark yellow/ Orange fruits and veggies, according to my vet can help with respiratory tract cell regeneration (or something like that) so carrots and roasted sweet potatoes or squashes are good.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that a tiny bit of dark chocolate could help at least ease symptoms?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys! Your advice was really useful. I have a vet appointment set up for Tuesday, where I'll have to miss school, and now I'm $200 in debt with my parents... But their worth it. I gave them some semi sweet chocolate for now (I don't have dark). I just hope my mouse won't get it too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts