Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night was the second time I'd noticed this certain behaviour from my rats - they seem to sulk after having strange people in the house! When I have guests round for dinner, they are understandably shy and aren't as outgoing when they are as when it's just me (reluctant to come out their cage, more inclined to hide during play time, put themselves back in their cage early). But even after my guests have gone, my two girls still seem to be very off with me! They both refused to take a treat from me last night and this morning they didn't come out of their bed to see me like usually do. They seem to be all right this evening, although Rin is a bit more subdued than usual (she's usually the most outgoing!) After my guests had gone, I saw Luna sniff the air quite a few times - do you think perhaps they're unsettled by the smell of people they don't know still lingering even after they're gone? Or is it literally a case of "No mum, we're not talking to you now seeing as you were paying attention to those other people instead of us!!".

My only concern now is my partner is due back from his travels in 2 weeks (they were bought for me as a surprise present while he was away to keep my company, so they've never seen him). I suppose they might be a bit unsettled at first but get used to him within a week or so? I plan to get him to give them all their food and interact with them lots (he's dying to meet them!) I'd be fascinated to hear how other peoples rats react to having friends/family over they don't usually see. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Out of the 7 rats I've owned over the years, only one was extremely outgoing to new people. She would have made a great shoulder rat if I had trained her. She loved going from person to person, kissing and sniffing and being cute the whole time! Sophie absolutely LOVED people.

All the others get a little weird when we have people over. Last night we had a few friends over and I brought Pearl out because she was giving me those eyes. She was fine while in my arms but did not want to go to anyone else and got a little overwhelmed when 4 other people were like "AW CAN I PET HER" at once! I did notice the other 3 weren't as active last night but all 4 were back to their normal selves this morning.

I'm sure your rats will be fine with your partner! Especially if they meet with you there. When I introduce one new person to my rats they are their normal selves. I think its the big group of large humans that makes them hunker down a little more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that makes sense, they are definitely aware when there are new people around as I can see that they're more tense. I'm sure once my partner has given them lots of treats and they realise he's fun to be around (he's a big animal lover too so I know he's going to absolutely dote on them) they'll get used to him. It's funny because I tell my friends all these interesting things my ratties do when I have them out to play, but then when they come round they don't get to see it at all! Aw, I know they can't help it, bless them!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts