Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just told me that his little brother got bored of his pet rat and took him to a park last week and let him go :/ It's been very cold here (not sure if it's gotten above 20 degrees F, been around 0 - 10 the past few days), plus there's several inches of snow on the ground.. is there any way that poor little rat could have survived?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
it could be possible he's still alive but it can't be nice. he's probably frost bitten, perhaps a few pieces of of him are already beyond saving. it would be very unlikely he will be able to survive much longer if he's still alive at all. i don't mean to be mean, but you asked and this is best case scenario i can give you if he's still out in that. i'm not sure if it would help any now if he's been out all week, but i would go look for him. its probably not very likely you will find him, but at least you can say that you tried. then, if i was in your position i would go up one side of your friend's little brother then down the other and back up to the top for good measure. i would also let his parents know exactly what their son doomed another living creature to. they may not think much of rats but its a life no matter the casing and their son tossed it aside, along with his responsibilty to it, as if life meant nothing, like trash. i'm a mother, and if my son ever even thought of doing that to life in his care, well, lets just say he would never have a thought remotely like that again... and if nothing else works, try reporting them for abandonment. i don't know what the animal welfare laws are in your area but i hope they cover that.

sorry for the rant. but things lke that really irk me. i've seen the results of abandoned rats in the winter that survived. they had to have so many amputations and special care and they still forgave it all. nothing should have to suffer that. especially something that has such a huge capacity for forgiveness and love.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's about what I thought :(

Unfortunately, there really isn't much I can do. My friend lives in another state, and his dad and brother (who I don't know) live over an hour away from me. Apparently, when my friend was little, his dad took their old dog who had some health problems up into the woods and let him go because he didn't want to pay for the vet care... so that's the kind of values this kid has, I guess..

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
ugh, that's disgusting. why would anyone want to teach their children such poor values. i wonder how much respect for living things this kid is going to have. i hope it doesn't leak over to human life as well. they say its only a stepping stone from care for animal to care for human life too. that poor rat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts