Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All 3 of my male rats are brilliant with each other - some bad fights when first introducing Makk to Harry and Kai but they get along great now.

All 3 are fine with me, dont bite etc
but none of them want to be handled, they get handled every day but only for a few seconds cos they wont stay there!

whenever i am in the house they have their cage door open for them to come out whenever they want, when im not in my sister lets them out and handles them for at least an hour. when i stay at my girlfriends i take them with me and they have a big cage there with the run of the room they are in.
they have lots to do, a big cage with lots of things to keep them entertained, they have the run of my huge bedroom, they can play on my floor bed in the duvet, climb shelves etc
-they have a great life!

but none of them, will let me handle them, they just wiggle and squirm until they are free

they are trained to stay in a pouch i wear on my front when i go outdoors so they get fresh air etc - and they dont seem affraid of anything.

one of my rats likes to lick my tongue for some strange reason - and thats the only reason he comes over to me for attention.

why is this do you think?
i hear stories of rats grooming their owners and owners cuddling up to rats and both having a snugle etc - i want that!

·
Registered
527 Posts
maybe your rats just haven't become squishes yet (are they young?), and not all rats end up being cuddly & laid back when they're older.
just keep giving them a few strokes during playtime, or give them a treat after doing that so they know cuddles are followed by good things. ;]
my ratties don't actively seek out being petted, but they do enjoy having their heads rubbed every now and then during free range time.
my girl vegas licking my hand when i'm typing is also a plus! :lol:

·
Registered
506 Posts
lol my boys are still like that. The only way they sort of sit with me is if I'm on a kitchen chair that they can't get off of. They were really cuddly when I first got them but now they just love to play. I can't wait for the squishy age. *sigh*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts