Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this community, I have 2 male rats, one grey and white dumbo called Ice and the other a black hooded fancy rat called Cuba, they are pretty much the best of friends, play together and cuddle together when they sleep. However, when they play fight, they are sometimes too aggressive and I've found small cuts on them afterwards - is this normal when owning rat pairs? Should I worry about potentially separating them?

Pic below is them yin/yang style in their hammock, which is how they are most of the time!

Attachments

Registered
Maybe try to separate them for a week or so then reintroduce them. If the injuries get worse I personally think they should get neutered. But I hope all goes well and it doesn't have to come to that.馃槉

Registered
While squabbles are pretty normal, injuries can be a bit concerning. If they're just small scratches that heal quickly, it might not be a terrible issue but definitely worth keeping your eye on. If they're getting deep gashes, it's definitely a problem. Neutering can help curb hormonal aggression. I personally wouldn't separate/reintroduce them unless you're going to neuter one or both of them.

Also, little scabs/scratches around the jaw, neck, and shoulders may be caused by mites and it's often mistaken for fight injuries. Treating for mites is very easy.

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to this community, I have 2 male rats, one grey and white dumbo called Ice and the other a black hooded fancy rat called Cuba, they are pretty much the best of friends, play together and cuddle together when they sleep. However, when they play fight, they are sometimes too aggressive and I've found small cuts on them afterwards - is this normal when owning rat pairs? Should I worry about potentially separating them?

Pic below is them yin/yang style in their hammock, which is how they are most of the time!
First, they're adorable!

How old are they and how long have they been cage-mates?

Can you tell if the small cuts are from teeth or nails? Do they have anything in the cage to help keep their nails trimmed?
I would be surprised if they are being that overly aggressive with each other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts