Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have gotten to a point where my rats will come up to the cage to great me and eat from my hands and they'll let me pet them and they love to explore all over the room and on my bed. They'll even crawl on my to see whats going on with me. They aren't very cautious around me they've seen to accept my presence. However I want to go to the next step. I want to be able to play with them or snuggle them but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to be willing to do that. I'm not in any rush or anything but I'd just like to know is there something I should be doing to get to the final step of them wanting to be around me or should I just keep doing what I have been and that is interacting with them as much as I can and giving them yummies?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Something my rats have come to absolutely love is when I wear a baggy robe (or baggy shirt with long sleeves, over top of another shirt). I started wearing it once the furballs got used to me, and within a week Nameless my hyper rat would tunnel around my sleeves and the hem of the robe, and Nugget started falling asleep in the arm (guess it's like their hammock). This might get them to interact a bit more with you?

Otherwise give it time - sounds like you're doing everything right. Some rats however aren't very cuddly (Nameless looves climbing all over me and while he predominantly stays near my lap, he never truly cuddles). If you want to speed thing along you can put them in a smaller location (like a desk or a table) without much stimulus for a little bit everyday and try playing with them there (lots of treats involved and suddenly you seem faaar more interesting to them haha).

One of the things I used to do is place a little bit of yogurt on my finger so they would be forced to sit on my lap while I pet them and snuggled them (it helps that my rats are absolutely nuts about yogurt).

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
To be honest most of mine over the years haven't been snugglers. They are generally very active explorers who check in with me for a quick stroke / cuddle and maybe a game of tag or chase. I do prefer it that way generally, though it’s nice when we get sofa time and just settle down to watch a film together (where they will tend to sleep next to me but not so much on my lap). Generally though its in the rat room where everything is a bit manic lol.

In terms of getting them to play with you I would try and get them to chase your hand, this is a good first step. If they are treat motivated you can have a bit of food in there, though I find just move your hand in a fast scuttling motion and they will often chase it. Add in a feather wand if your struggling. Once oyu can get them to do this then try adding in obsticles for them to navigate (teaching them agility) or let them catch you, then you tickle there bum and run off again (play werestling)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts