Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I realized earlier that rats x pine dont mix. And since christmas trees are rather smelly is it okay that I get one without having any special precautions with the ratties?

·
Registered
664 Posts
As long as they're not in the same room i'd think the rats should be okay.

·
Registered
737 Posts
in case of worry ypu can always do synthetic too

·
Registered
335 Posts
Oh dear, thank you for asking this. I'm a newbie and I didn't even think of this when I got my tree! I have a very large living room which is where the rats live and the tree is in there too (opposite ends of the room). The tree itself isn't very smelly. You have to be almost right next to it in order to get a good whiff. Do you think this is okay? It'a been about a week and neither are showing any signs of respiratory distress or sneezing.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Christmas trees are fine so long as the rats are not in it. In other words, the aroma itself will not harm them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Personally I wouldn't worry about it that much. If anyone started sneezing I would reassess the situation.

the title kinda got me excited though, was hoping for rat video of total destruction of a x-mas tree via rat.

Now I'm depressed.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Lol!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
With a christmas tree being in a large space, often well ventilated, even if the rats are in the same room its very different than if the rats are in a small encolsed space with it. Saying that phenols being harmful isnt a clear cut thing for every rat, there are shades of grey so to speak. I wouldnt give it serious thought unless you have a rat with a very senstive respiratory tract and the room itslef gets a real piney smell.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I wouldn't worry about it that much. If anyone started sneezing I would reassess the situation.

the title kinda got me excited though, was hoping for rat video of total destruction of a x-mas tree via rat.

Now I'm depressed.
Ahh sorry to disappoint you x) Maybe I'll get a mini plastic christmas tree and see what Blaze or Jojo does to it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
With a christmas tree being in a large space, often well ventilated, even if the rats are in the same room its very different than if the rats are in a small encolsed space with it. Saying that phenols being harmful isnt a clear cut thing for every rat, there are shades of grey so to speak. I wouldnt give it serious thought unless you have a rat with a very senstive respiratory tract and the room itslef gets a real piney smell.
Good. That's what I was thinking that being in the same room is different than living ON it. But as I keep saying I'm a noob so I err on the side of not knowing anything right now. Thanks everyone. You're all so helpful!

·
Registered
335 Posts

Now I'm depressed.
Ha! i was thinking the smae thing when I first saw this thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a live metre high pine tree in our living room for a month now (don't ask- it's my boyfriends project) and my rats have been living the whole time across from it. I never even thought about the phenols... I haven't noticed any side effects. But I would imagine that because the tree isn't really touched or have any needles or branches broken on it regularly (except when I rub the needles to get that nice smell every once in a while) that aromatic compounds would not be released in high amounts. I imagine that it probably isn't a huge problem... Pine bedding has a huge surface area and is constantly being kicked up which would release more compounds then a tree just sitting there. That's what my opinion is though... There's always fake trees if you want to go the safe not sorry route.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Now I'm depressed.
Same here.

I kept looking for the video link to click.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.