Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my two male ratties will not stop fighting. I purchased Otis first. He is around a year and four months. Milo was purchased in March and is about 1 year and a month. They were both purchased from Petco. I read up on rats before I purchased them and now I am glad that I purchased them from a petstore and not a breeder because I got to save a couple rats from that terrible life.  Anyways, these boys have known each other for eight months and suddenly began to fight after getting along so well. I would say they began to fight two weeks ago. They drew blood so they are currently seperated. It is pretty difficult to tell which one is more vicious, but I am leaning towards Milo. (The younger rat of the two) They will squeak and fly around the room. They barely hit the ground and then they are off to scratching and bouncing around the room in a scary manner. I have read up on many reasons they might fight. 1. Milo is going through "ratuberty" 2. They don't have a big enough cage. 3. Many many many more that I can't think of at the moment.  the rats have a single unit critter nation cage which is meant for up to 4 rats... So this has plenty of room. Milo might be going through "raturberty" and could that possibly be a reason? If so, will he ever get over it? They are both acting highly timid and frantic lately. It almost seems like they are scared of each other or anxious to fight. Also, when they get together, Milo will go up to him and do an arched body move and rub his butt against Otis. And then some fights Otis acts SO scared and he will do anything to get away. Ex: jump on a five year old girls face. So , to wrap this up, I would like some info. And help. Someone who has been through this before or might know what is happening. Do I need to change something? Thank so much. -Kahlan P.S. if you have any questions, reply to this post or message me and I will happily reply.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Some male rats have hormone issues and it will lead to aggression and fighting. The only thing you can do is either keep them alone or get them neutered. Neutering will help alot and then u should be able to put them together again. There are some risks that come from the neuter.

i have two males that I have to keep alone. They are sweet boys to humans but are not at all ok with other rats.

Them acting timid and frantic lately is because they are highly stressed from the fighting :(

Definitely keep them in separate cages so no one is injured. I'd talk to your vet about the costs and risks of neutering.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts