Rat Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Definitely! I don't approve of all breeders and I don't think all shops are bad, however for shops that just showcase their rats in a glass tank with absolutely no information of where they come from, it doesn't give you any chance to spot red flags. At least for breeders who don't allow you to come into their home, you can talk to them and see what their guidelines are for buyers. If you check out the rat breeder red flag list, you won't find anything you will be able to see or ask in pet shops that don't breed: Rat Breeder Red Flags List

·
Registered
45 Posts
Back on the OP's topic. Can I ask OP where their cage is at? It might help moving their enclosure somewhere active where they can adjust to the noise and smells of their new home. If they're in a quiet bedroom and the only activity and noise directly correlates to 'scary things' AKA the new humans trying to touch them and watch them, that might slow down the warming process. Also make sure when you do pass by the cage you say a few words and offer a few snacks. I second the spoon treats mentioned by someone earlier. If that doesn't work maybe keep a cup of tasty cereal nearby so a piece can be offered every time? Even if they won't take it from you hand it's good to build a nice association between you and food.

·
Super Moderator
111 Posts
Start with hand feeding from the cage door. BTW, there’s nothing wrong with pet store quality rats. A rat is a rat ... even feeders can make great pets!
Oh absolutely and they deserve the best possible love and care, if anything they need extra attention :)
People should be knowledgeable and sensible about where their pets are sourced as to not fund pet farms, not all pet stores use these i'm sure!

It is not an opinion, its just you know a lot less about a rats genetics from a pet store than you do from a responsible breeder. Of course there are also lots of bad breeders out there which is why one should always do their research ^^

All ratties deserve a good loving home and cagemates, we're all agreeing on the same thing here I think ✌

21 - 24 of 24 Posts