Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In am hoping to create a list with all members submitting their rats favourite treats to eat and also what they absolutely turn down.

This will then be very helpful for new rat owners and also give loads of people ideas on what their rat might enjoy!!

Please add some yummy treats to the list

Well here goes:

EGGS

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bread, toast, toast with a bit of margarine, eggs in any cooked form, cooked pasta, warm tea (this is reallyyyyy not advisable to give on a regular basis or in anything larger than a drop on a teaspoon, and should not be given at all if you take a lot of sugar in your tea or if you take your tea very strong), banana, a little chicken, tinned tomatoes (again, small amounts, there is a lot of salt in any tinned food).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Ours will always take -

Yoghurt drops
Vitakraft Cheese Wedges
Pretzels (the pet store kind, not regular pretzels)
Hazelnuts
Pecans
Almonds
Melon: most kinds
Grapes
Wholegrain pasta - raw or cooked
Arrowhead Mills Puffed Corn Cereal
Cucumber
Deli meat

Their favourites are -

Broccoli
Banana
Hard-boiled egg slices
Smoked salmon (slivers, very VERY occasionally - they snatch my hand off for this!)

Also, one of our rats likes strawberries and pineapple, the other does not. Neither will eat walnuts.

I'm sure there are many more things to add, so I'll edit this as I think of them :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
My girls love mashed sweet potato with cinnamon, spagetti, lamb chops, cooked plain pasta, waffles and scrambled eggs. They're only a little bit spoiled :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My boys don't really like the fancy foods. They will eat eggs but they prefer fruits like various types of melons, strawberries and apples (without the seeds). They also love carrots and mixed berry or cheese yogurt drops.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Chicken bones, prawns, dog biscuits, greenies, noodles, olive oil, yoghurt, cheerios, cranberries, raisins.

And of course all those mentioned before me :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My oldest goes mad for yogurt covers raisins. My middle loves eggs. The baby... doesn't seem to care yet.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hmm, pretty much everything I've given my rats they've eaten with gusto.

However, they rejected turkey bacon and garlic.

They also have a real penchant for getting into foods they're not supposed to have: someone's always trying to lick my beer bottles, the tea is a constant target, and they practically cry when I throw away the avocado pits in front of them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There absolute favorites are peas, olive oil on bread (once a week or shiny coat), and wheatgrass.

They get a fruits (mindy LOVES her strawberries), cereal (cheerios, gerber puff things, etc,), and peas as treats too. I have recently started eating good and these little fatties are getting there share of organic veggies and fruits as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought I was the only one who used gerber's fruit puffs! I buy the strawberry-apple ones. Also, I make my own food and the recipe I use says you can add dry fruits. The only fruits I can find, though, have tons of added sugar. So...instead I mix in gerber's mini fruits which are freeze dried fruit with no added sugar- just pure fruit.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Pocket used to LOVE bananas and Lyiint would NOT share her nuts with ANYone. Myght really like getting into boiled eggs but lost interest once the egg had a decent sized hole in it. Dust liked M&Ms a lot. had one baby boy that would not let you NOT share your fruitloops with him. he would make quite the rucus in the cage until you did. another boy would camp out in a popcorn bag and lick the sides if he had eaten all the popcorn already. nezumi was killer on any fruit but especially liked strawberries. i'm not sure how much she ate in ratio to how much she smeared around the cage too make it look like there was a masacre and freak me out though...

of the rats i have now Spider loves ALL food but especailly cheezits. Sweetipi has a love on for letuce (though that seems to be a favorite with just about all of them) Twix doesn't seem to care, not even if she's gets a share, she's just not a food lover i guess. Tween loves fruit loops and bread crusts. Kakushi loves her yogies. Violet seems to like everything but especailly foods that aren't hers. she'll steal from the other rats and even me, not too sure she liked the chilli last night though... Bribery is the new boy and we're still working on getting him comfortable but he seems rather taken with banana bread.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've almost lost a finger over cream cheese.
Deer sticks.
Avacodo.
I'm sure some of you are going to scold me, but sometimes before I change their water, I give them rain berry gatorade for an hour or so. they love it. also sometimes i mix in diet lipton green tea citrus in their water. they love it. sometimes i just put plain green tea in their water.

Don't like:
apples.
celery.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
mine like:
cream cheese
nutella (only as a special treat)
avocado
peanuts in shell
frozen peas & corn

dont like:
apples
carrots
pears

loco tried to get in my coffee cup the other day, i think i managed to get a photo of her tail sticking out... just as well it was empty...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts