Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for 2 girl rats while I get my cage together, and during my search I've been looking at nearby ratteries as well as craigslist ads for 'oops' litters. However. Recently I stumbled upon a Rattery that has a small group of male rats(3 regular, 2 harley). It came with a photo. While on craigslist I found the exact SAME photo of the same rats, described as 3 regular/2 harley. However, these rats are being sold as "Feeders or Pets".
Before I post any photos or links or comments, I want to know how acceptable this is?

From my understanding, it is not acceptable. I myself keep reptiles, none of which are large enough to consume even adult mice (a small hognose snake) and some of which only consume fruit (Gargoyle Gecko). And I always feed frozen. So I suppose I am moderate in terms of this hot topic. But how acceptable is this as a general consensus from an OFFICIAL AFRMA Rattery?

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's a sad reality and has to be accepted as it is. While doing my research on rabbits I found a breeder who sold them as pets and meat. As long as their treating the rats with great care regardless if it might end up as a feeder then I think it'll be okay since the pet rats won't be more sick and stuff just because they could of been a feeder not a pet.

But it also could be that the person on the craigslist add stole the photo and could be a scammer. Should probably report them asap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found it odd because the person on craigslist (if they stole the photo) DOES say they are harley. If it was just for feeders, I wouldn't think they would bother. ALSO the ad is in the same city as the rattery and same area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My point however is, these ratteries that are disposing of rats that they don't want to care for anymore shouldn't be selling them off as feeders now that they have new litters to sell. And no one should be supporting what they're doing. But I don't know that there's a way to inform anyone of this practice.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Google filters results for whatever you searched based on where you are. If i were to search "rat breeders" the top results would be of places on Colorado even though I didn't specify they had to be in colorado. They person could of just googled rat breeders to get a decent picture from them and saw the info as harley's and decided they might seem more legit if they put that too.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It's not acceptable, that's a red flag and pretty sure that just makes them a know-nothing breeder. Real breeders dont breed "stock" or get rid of it. Information from birth to death is vital, and death by reptile wont tell you a thing about health.

Do know one thing. While being an AFRMA rattery is usually a good thing, it doesn't involve anything. I could probably become one tomorrow. Just got to pay a fee and give them my info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, Since it's unlikely anything is done about it, Here are the links in question:

Rattery: http://mistyblue.weebly.com/available.html

AD in Question: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pet/4882690978.html

It's so hard trying to find a reputable rattery that doesn't require you to jump through a bunch of hoops to even have interest in their rats (and even then, waiting months on a waiting list for what ends up being normal/variegated rats, which are cute but meh!). And I don't appreciate the snobbery of some of these breeders that just slap names on their rats and call it a "line". Not that this all happens all the time. But I see it a lot.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Things I noticed: Rats are risky markings (high white -- notice awards are not for any "standardized" rats)
Rats are kept OUTDOORS for "health" (bull and raises a multitude of care questions...like free range, sunlight, safety)
NO contracts
Sells "pet" rats according to SIZE?
Additionally, you can see a hidden thing that makes her NOT a real breeder in my eyes...She breeds for looks and not ONCE mentions temperment/health.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. You're right. I guess I just thought it was all suspicious, but didn't see all the stuff you pointed out either!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
When I was looking to find homes from my accidental litter I was contacted by a woman who ran a rescue/rattery & she bred for both pets and food. I just couldnt understand how she could do that. Even more so since she rescues them she must know how many are in need of homes and she must sell them as feeders because she knows she can't find that many homes for them all :( Its sad.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I guess I'm strange, because I find that perfectly okay, well I don't see an issue. (Except for maybe the fact that it could be a person scamming.)
*Note: I only read the first few replies, might effect what I'm saying, I donno.
Rats as feeders is perfectly fine in my books. I've also read of people feeding their old, close-to-the-end pet rats to their snakes, and I don't have an issue with that.
Such is the life of a rat lover and a reptile lover.. My snakes need to eat, too!:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are no ratteries near my home and a drive of several hours is out of the question. So my rats have always come from less than ideal conditions. I have always looked at adopting them as a rescue. It doesn't stop the trade, but it saves that one (two, three) rat. And that means the world to them. I really do like snakes. But rats are friends, not food!I know before I get them that the risks are higher. They may be ill and I know they will have behavior issues. I've always seen that as a small price to pay for all the lovies that come from my rats. I think my three girls would enthusiastically say that all feeder rats should be rescued. And that for the rat, it is always worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I don't see a legal issue as far as live feeding. I mean, I don't feed live. It's a bad practice and not humane. But it's not illegal in the US. The issue to me is just false advertisement. I mean, if you make yourself SEEM like a "reputable"rattery and sell your rats for 30 dollars a rat, you shouldn't be selling the less attractive rats for 5 dollars each on the side and still cal yourself a "breeder". On the bright side, I picked up 3 girl rats from a litter just this past weekend. 20 for all 3. And with no fuss.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't find anything wrong with it as long as they are keeping them healthy and happy, but unfortunately people who breed rats as feeders normally keep them in filthy little tubs or aquariums. I would never buy a pet from a feeder rattery for that reason alone.Snakes gotta eat! I do think people should feed frozen but it is not always possible. Some snakes just don't take to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts