Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just picked up my pair of girl ratties Sunday and I seem to be badly allergic to them, these are my symptoms:

* Little red welts on skin (when they crawl on me)
* Red itchy swollen eyes
* Wheezy breathing
* Itchy nose & throat

I have had one rattie in the past he was with me between 2000-2002 about a year after I had him I started getting these same symptoms except for the welts and also my asthma symptoms became sever, but I always thought it was from the cat I had got at the time.

I don't use any kind of bedding, it's done all in fleece, so I can just take it out, replace it and wash the dirty set, so it's not the bedding thats bothering me. I don't even have to actually touch my girls for most of these symptoms to start in (I'm about 4 1/2 feet from their cage and the symptoms are starting again)...I need immediate help please, can anyone here that happens to have these same allergy symptoms from their Ratties please help me...my girls keep looking at me like why aren't you putting your hands in our cage anymore and it's breaking my heart :cry:

Would someone please help with suggestions on what to do

Giving back my girls is NOT my first choice :cry:

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer

Update 2/4/08:

Hello everyone,

Well lets see, I now wear a dust mask when cleaning the girls' cage, have took out all fleece floor liners and replace them with news paper topped with plain white printer paper, wear long sleeves when holding my girls, wash my hands after every touching of my girls and take a shower after long play time with the girls.

I have also started taking the new over-the-counter Zyrtec allergy pills and got some prescription strength allergy eye drops as well...

I am happy to say, doing all the above seems to really be helping and I have all of you that helped to thank for it and Katt & Sparkles thanks you as well :D

I have also started my own website, dedicated to all 4 of my fuzzykids, I have a page for each of them...finally got new pics of Sparkles (awake...lol)

FuzzyBlessings
http://www.fuzzyblessings.net

please keep in mind that the site isn't the best in looks and isn't finished either :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Re: Rattie allergy help needed ASAP, please

Take benadryl. I am allergic to my boys and the hay my chins eat. I get horrible red welts and occasionally terrible neck stiffness if the boys have been on my shoulders for a while. Wear long sleeves when you handle the, wash up after, move them out of the room you sleep in if you haven't already.

·
Registered
745 Posts

My boyfriend is highly allergic to my rats. Worse than you, actually. He's on a number of prescription medications, sees an allergist, and is getting immunization shots. All of that combined has only been enough so that he's not waking up having asthma attacks anymore.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Hi Bren. Dan (my boyfriend) is pretty allergic to the ratties. I was pretty worried about him when he began having visible trouble breathing in his sleep :( . He is currently taking two allergy prescriptions to keep it manageable.

Touching your girls isn't the problem. It's not their dander it's their urine. The urine is under their nails, and when they scratch you BAM allergy attack. It may seem like it's your rats because when you get near the cage you feel symptoms; however, urine can dry, flake off the surface, and enter the airspace. Again, you're allergic to the urine it's just in the air! Kinda gross actually lol! Anyhoo here is what I would suggest to you.

1. DO NOT keep the rats in your bedroom. I would hate to see you end up in the ER for breathing trouble.

2. Get yourself a basic air filter for the room the ratties are kept in. We have yet to do this because we have an upstairs and a downstairs but we WILL be getting one if we move to a smaller apartment.

3. You may want to consider getting a general allergy prescription anyway. Things change as you get older, and you may find that you're allergic to more than you know. Asthma can also develop later in age (especially if it runs in your family) and more than the rats may trigger it. I noticed that even away from the rats Dan was still having trouble breathing in certain circumstances. He couldn't breath properly in his mom's basement, so he's probably also allergic to mold.

4. Dan loves the ratties, and I couldn't keep him away if I tried but he does wear a turtleneck shirt to protect himself from scratches. He says it helps.

5. Last thing I can think of, which I also have yet to attempt, is keep your rats nails trim! You have to read up on how to do it then pray the little buggers don't move! Mine squirm too much to give me courage to do this but when it gets a bit warmer I may have to try.

6. I lied....I thought of one more. Give your rattie a quick wipe down with a baby wipe (don't forget those fingers and toes) don't be alarmed if they glare at you. Humans (in a rats opinion) don't know how to clean properly, and rats have to fix what we mess up! :roll:

MMK I hope this helped. Let us know how it works out!

btw. Dan is on Singulair and Claratin.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

I had this same problem when I first got my girls- the first night I was awake all night trying to breathe. But it's gotten better and better with time, you might be lucky enough to be the same. I used to take a Claratin knockoff (it's seriously like $8 at Wallmart for a ton of pills, 24 hour, non-drowsy) if I was getting itchy, but even that's unnecessary these days unless I give them lots of kisses and really breathe in too much fur. And I always wear a sweatshirt if I'm going to let them crawl on me, but even the reaction to their talons is fading as time goes on.

All the above ideas seem really good, and Claratin works wonders. I just wanted to say there's a possibility of this subsiding on its own, don't give up hope just yet!

·
Registered
483 Posts

I have had no problem with the ratties. Although I do always wear long sleeves when I pick them up. I have been on allergy medication most of my childhood and now adult life. I would get a prescription from your doctor, or get benadryl-- it works wodners

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Rattie allergy help needed ASAP (Update on my Allergies)

Thanks so much for your help :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts