Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got to thinking. Salads can sometimes be a pain. What about those nights when you have absolutely nothing in the house that's suitable for the salad (that's cooked, safe, and prepared)?

Well... then I thought, what if you could give salad pellets like you give lab blocks or kibble? Of course, I'm NOT saying this is a replacement salad. But... for those crazy nights, having these pre-packaged is definitely going to help... and it's not so bad as an occasional treat.

What's in them:
-Oats
-Rice
-Peas
-Blueberries
-Carrots
-Broccoli
-Just the tiniest bit of dark chocolate.

And all of this is bound together with flour and tea (yes, tea)! I kind of just... threw together everything without really writing down the measurements, so sorry! But the rats absolutely LOVED them. In fact, I was only able to get ONE picture of one of them with it (and it was blurry) - because they kept shifting away from me so I couldn't take their goodie x3

Here's the actual dough:

And the cookies before cooking:

And after:

And the only image they'd let me get of any of them (bless you Ouija):

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
That's a neat idea, for quick greens I usually just give raw kale and some thawed veggies. I just made rat cookies too though! Except I made peanut butter banana ones

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about adding peanut butter...! But my boys really don't like their greens so I figured I had to try something like this. Plus, these will store really well, I think. I haven't had very good luck with banana cookies in the past //lays down

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Yeah they don't keep past a few days. I really like them though, and so do my rats :) but the recipe always makes a lot more than we can eat, so tomorrow when I pick up my CN I'm going to give some treats to the rat rescue owner

·
Registered
952 Posts
My husband works in a healthy restaurant that specializes in soups, salads, and sandwiches. All the ingredients are fresh and delivered every 2 days, the bread is baked daily at the bread house where they get their supplies, most of the produce comes from farmer markets here locally. He brings some salad stuff home every few days for them like spinich and dark leafy greens, slivered almonds roasted in the over for a treat as well as carrots and cucumbers. This is a neat idea though.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I got it from the rat recipes section of the forum actually :) I just copy pasted it here. Except I omit the tablespoon of sugar, I think the ingredients are naturally sugary enough as it is
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 banana

1/4 cup uncooked oats

1/2 to 1 cup whole wheat flour

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil, spray or coat with butter. Mix the peanut butter and banana (peeled) together (I used a potato masher utensil) until a creamy mixture forms. Add the sugar and cinnamon. Add the oats and mix well. Add the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until a tough dough forms. Roll dough out into 'snakes' and cut into 1/2 inch nuggets. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until lightly brown.

Let cool. Serve to hungry ratties!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I got it from the rat recipes section of the forum actually :) I just copy pasted it here. Except I omit the tablespoon of sugar, I think the ingredients are naturally sugary enough as it is
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 banana

1/4 cup uncooked oats

1/2 to 1 cup whole wheat flour

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil, spray or coat with butter. Mix the peanut butter and banana (peeled) together (I used a potato masher utensil) until a creamy mixture forms. Add the sugar and cinnamon. Add the oats and mix well. Add the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until a tough dough forms. Roll dough out into 'snakes' and cut into 1/2 inch nuggets. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until lightly brown.

Let cool. Serve to hungry ratties!
Tried this last night, yum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts