Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 rats [most ive had at once is 14], one is about one and a half years old, fawn and white called honey and an 8 week old baby hoodie called angel.
When i had honey she was the last in the pet shop that the shop owner said he was going to have euthenased because no one would buy her because of a dodgy looking eye, it often has a little red crust around it [i assume its pophyrin], there no wound, just slightly puffy but sometimes its ok.
I use small pet mildly antiseptic wipes everyday and im careful not to use the same wipe on her good eye, this so far seems to be fine, it removes the red scabby bits.
However, this morning i got up and went to them for there morning scritch and noticed her eyes were litterally glued shut... both of them, there didnt seem to be any discharge or weeping, no crust but just as though her lids had fused together overnight, i thought she was just tired at first but after a couple minutes cuddle realised there was something wrong, i bathed them with tepid water and cotton wool and gently prised them apart which took some doing.
Ive googled for these symtoms with no luck and after owning approx 20 rats over 18 years ive not come across it.
Do you have any ideas please?. shes in otherwise good health and active, her cage mate is perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i get that when ive been sleeping for a lond time..though not as bad as that sounds, has it only happened once?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it only happened this morning..
I'll check firt thing in the morning to see if it happens again.,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts