Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been cooking more for Shawn for the last few months since he's getting older and blocks/mixes/daily veggies aren't quite enough for him, and occasionally I come across recipes that he goes bananas for. Tonight's actually got the approval of BOTH boys! They are both happily destroying their bowls of soup. Measurements are approximate since I really was just trying to toss something together for them... 1/2 cup broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix 1/4 cup water 1/3 cup black eyed peas + cooking liquid 1/3 cup cooked brown rice Pinch of: salt, turmeric, garlic powder I got a little bit too much for one night for two rats. Actually, it's probably twice as much as I really need since they never eat all of it, but mastered the art of cooking small I have not. :p Boy do they love it. You know, I read at some point that rats don't like seasonings much...but since I've been adding little dashes here and there (health benefits, I hope), they have been eating with so much more gusto. I'm careful with the salt, though, they don't get it every day unless it was in something I cooked; such as the peas. Do any of you have any kitcheny tips for care for the old man of the house? I'm pretty happy cooking for the boys. I think I'm doing pretty good keeping Shawn in good health in his old age (he isn't fat, his eyes are bright and he's still very active save for a slight decline in hind-end mobility), but yanno. I figure there might be something else I could be doing for him. I think Bucky'll be good for him, too. So...any tips?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh for the love of -- this is a double post, please excuse and possibly delete? Now if only it will let me put the blasted return spaces back in the other...

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would get rid of the salt, older rats tend towards heart issues, if so salt makes it progress faster. Otherwise it looks lovely. You could vary it by stirring in and beating an egg now and then. I would also add a few drops of linseed oil when you serve it to them. Tumeric and garlic are great additions, as your rats are old why not get a b-vitamin tablet and crush it and add to 5 servings of soup (for 2 rats), cvits are also handy for oldies as is glucosamine if you have arthritic rats (general rule of thumb is a rat gets 1/10 a human dose or 1/5 a dog dose of most things, just watch vit A). If you make up a batch then freeze it into small bags or ice cube trays then you can serve it them as and when you defrost it. Im a killer for making large batches of stuff too lol.

I think i might make a ricey soup for my guys. My old man needs extras to keep a healthy weight at the moment (well he needs extras or the others get fat) and it would be a nice change for him from eggy rice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts