Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know if your rat is chewing enough that their theeth will not get over grown?

I have plenty of things in my cage for them to chew on but I only see bare min chew marks on them......I would think it would be instint for them chew but none of my guys seem to be chewers

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
As long as they're getting hard food and they don't seem to be having trouble with their teeth it's probably fine. The upper teeth and lower teeth can grind each other down as well, I believe. None of my boys are really all that chewy either.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you that is good to know! I feel alot better now! Everyone always talks about rats being this horrible chewers and mine do not really chew anything, I thought mine were just strange.....well I guess in a way they are! LOL!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Meh. When I got the newest of my cages, the clerk lady got kind of bitchy with me because its a plastic bottomed and ramped cage "You know rats chew on things" ... yeeaah. The last time I was there, she couldn't sex the babies they had. My rats haven't chewed on any part of it. Most rats don't chew as much as people think.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Some do, though, but I agree, many don't. That said, they also will offer you salt licks and stuff like that. :lol:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
To petstores. Here's a hint. If you don't learn to sex your animals you will have eighty bajillion more animals.
8O

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Rat's teeth grow continuously. That is NOT a myth by ANY means. If they're fed the correct diet, usually the teeth stay trimmed nicely.

Rats love to chew on things, or at least "test" things with their teeth. It's one of the ways they can tell what the object is.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Night said:
Rat's teeth grow continuously. That is NOT a myth by ANY means. If they're fed the correct diet, usually the teeth stay trimmed nicely.

Rats love to chew on things, or at least "test" things with their teeth. It's one of the ways they can tell what the object is.
Yes rats' teeth never ever grow, theyre just like peoples' teeth!!!
Yeah notice the sarcasm. I didn't say that they never grow now did I? I said that them needing wood to chew on is. Do I give my rats things to chew on? Yes I do. A good diet provides the grinding down of their teeth.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You said that it was a myth. There was nothing to show that it was sarcasm at all.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
True, I skimmed. I apologize for mis-reading what you wrote.

Still, though, some rat's teeth grow faster than others, and they need more to chew on than just their regular feed.

Non-chewers ARE totally the minority! I assure you. Rats love to chew, chew, chew. Especially things they're not supposed to.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i agree that they need stuff to chew on, but usually their food is adequate unless they have monstrous teeth. i give mine stuff to munch on though, cuz they think hamsteroids are the most fun thing ever, and it helps in case the food isn't enough. :D

·
Registered
997 Posts
thegrotto said:
Night said:

Yes rats' teeth never ever grow, theyre just like peoples' teeth!!!
Yeah notice the sarcasm. I didn't say that they never grow now did I? I said that them needing wood to chew on is. Do I give my rats things to chew on? Yes I do. A good diet provides the grinding down of their teeth.
I've found sarcasm is hard to construe over the internet. Keep that in mind, because here you seemed very sassy, as if thinking 'How dare this person not get what I'm saying'.

Consider it. :D

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
before this spins out of control no more on sarcasm please. stay on the topic of rat teeth only. anyone replying to sarcasm will have their post deleted. also please be sure to read the post throughly before replying so as not to repeat yourself or mis-construe anything.

stay to topic please

1 - 17 of 17 Posts