Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all you helpfull peeps out in Ratland...

I've jus bought some baby corn & sugar snap peas for our Babies & i'm jus wondering how much to give them & wether to cut them up or leave them whole(the veg that is, not the ratties)...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

:)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
nonapaulness said:
(the veg that is, not the ratties)
:lol:

I would definitely cut them up, with them being more sugary veg. I would perhaps offer about a 1/3 of a baby corn each... I would think the peas would be ok, or maybe half. It depends on your rats, really. I could probably put a whole can in our cage and the rats would eat one or two over a time and get bored with them... some rats don't ration so well and will eat most everything you put in front of them.

I think it's the same with rats as it is with humans; keep it varied and "everything in moderation"... well, most things!

Goodness I'm a rambler today!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ever try corn on the cob, I break it up and put a few in each cage. It's so funny watching them carry it up and down the ramps. Of course they don't get it often.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Chop 'em up and toss 'em in a bowl of water. (If you have them frozen this is a good cool down).

And let 'em fish for them.

Mmmmmm.... fishing peas.... My boys LOoooove it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
RatMom said:
Ever try corn on the cob, I break it up and put a few in each cage. It's so funny watching them carry it up and down the ramps. Of course they don't get it often.
I've done that before - sliced it so it looks like a wheel. I love to watch them manage with bigger things.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Heh. Day before yesterday we had a cookout, and I gave my lot of 8 one corn on the cob to share. Much squabbling and running around ensued. :D

As for how much....If you just have the smaller baby corn (about 2 inches), I'd give them one each. I mean, if you were going to give them some *every day* that would be a bit much, but it's the season for an abundance of fresh things!!! As for the snap peas, I assume you have them in the shell, right? I'd give them maybe two each. They aren't as sweet, but are full of nutrients. :)

If they won't eat them (some young rats have an aversion to fresh foods), try steaming them and/or coating them with a bit of olive oil and garlic powder, both of which are great for them too!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts