Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to make a new post regarding my girls, Penelope and Ivory.

So Penelope had a tumor and just got it removed (I finally found a wonderful vet who has a lot of experience with rats!!)
Its been a week since and she's recovered so well! She's gotta go back to get stitches removed since she didn't take them out herself.

But my girl, Ivory, is going tomorrow morning to the vet because she is now suddenly panting.
She was fine yesterday and I had her out. But this morning she's been lethargic and suddenly panting (not out the mouth, her sides are just moving a lot faster than her normal breathing.)
Is there anything I can do for her in the meantime before I take her tomorrow? Is there a certain medicine I should ask for? Is she going to die from this? ;; I'm very worried..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have "Clavamix amoxicilin trihydrate / clavulanate potassium" from Penelope's surgery. It was to keep infection out.
Would giving some to Ivory help at all or make this work?

·
Registered
863 Posts
You don't really know why she's panting so you can't determine if she's going to die or what medicine she'll need. Lethargy and panting does sound like a reason to see the vet. In the meantime just make sure she has a quiet place to relax, and try not to worry too much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Ivory is very sick.

She has fluid in her lungs.
I have to use a nebulizer on her, with her medicine, 4 times a day for 10 minutes every six hours. Then she has another medicine she takes orally.

I have no faith that this will work because last time it didn't.
Ivory has lost so much weight, she won't drink or eat and I'm very upset because I don't think she will make it to Thanksgiving. And I was excited because she's such a foodie and it would be her first Thanksgiving</3

I don't know if I should be nebulizing her for 10 minutes, or until the medicine in it is used up.
But right now I'm going to make her an apple puree since chewing seems to be difficult on her.

She hates her cage and refuses to stay in it. So she's always sleeping in my brother's arms or in my arms.. she's still panting really hard </3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts