Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here keep 'em?

Will the bigger Rattus norvegicus eat and/or kill the smaller Rattus rattus?

Off topic: Is it okay for me to put mice in my rats' cage? Is it okay to let my rats kill and/or possibly consume mice? I'm feeding my rats mealworms occasionally, is it bad?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have heard that the two breeds of rat generally will not get along and should not be put together. Am I guaranteeing they won't get along? Of course not. But I wouldn't risk it.

You can put mice in your cage if you want the mice dead.

Which maybe you do based on the second question. Though technically I guess it'd be ok to let your rats eat mice, do you really want to clean that up? I wouldn't. Also there might be too much protein there if they ate mice regularly.

Mealworms are fine, but once again, they should only be occasionally served as a treat and not gotten too often.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of getting a chance of seeing my rats' wild side. It might be interesting. I've never seen a rat eat another rodent. The most I've seen is a partially consumed lizard body in my hamster's cage(I had one when I never knew rats were better) and I didn't even see the actual killing happen.

Will letting my rats kill affect them psychologically? I mean, will they be aggressive towards me? Or maybe become neurotic? Or something else?

-Edit-
I'm asking because I sometimes catch mice and roof rats with a cage-like trap with an automatic shutting door when something takes the bait. What I do after I catch them is release the captive outside to be "executed" by the neighborhood cats. The cats most of the time "play" with the victim before actually killing it. It may sound cruel but hey, I'm not the one killing.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Oh I wouldn't give them wild mice. You don't know what kinds of diseases they may carry.

I also imagine giving them mice regularly would bring out a bit more of their predatory nature. Though since I've never known anyone to actually do it on purpose I can't be sure.

My personal advice (And I'm willing to bet this will be the advice of others) is to continue doing what you're doing now. Don't get wild mice or rats anywhere close to your rats if you can avoid it. And generally don't feed mice to your rats at all.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't risk it. It's not worth it just to satisfy your interest. My cousin had a maze years ago. He put his rat at one end and a mouse at the other. The rat killed the mouse. After that, his rat became more aggressive to other animals. It attacked his cat, which was the last straw for his mom.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Ugh, that's awful!

Personally, since I can't imagine ever live feeding any pet of mine, I can't imagine throwing a poor little mouse in for my rats to attack, because I know they would.

Not to mention I'd probably be ill cleaning up the mess they made. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
How does feeding your rat another live creature, different from a snake owner buying a rat from PetSmart and feeding it live?

That's like people who put their birds in Cock Fights, or their dogs in Dog Fights.....sad. *I know there is not betting involved* but...still - you know your Rats will tear up the little mouse....

I couldn't do something like that, poor little mouse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
at my pet store we get in pinkys and give them to mama rats...they care them as thier own and some of the mice grow up to live in there and we have on now that has been in there for abut 2 months that the mamas protect with teeth and braun.

or maybe its just when they raise them that they allow mice to live wit them

+++

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
many animals are fine with things that otherwise nature would not allow as long as it happens when they are very young, it's one of those neat little perks of nature. and besides, baby mice look a lot like minature baby rats - like tiny pink mike n' ikes. :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does feeding your rat another live creature, different from a snake owner buying a rat from PetSmart and feeding it live?
Because I'm not planning on feeding mice as a staple. It's like, for once, I wanna see my rats go wild. I've never seen rats actually kill(except for mealworms)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a story for you.

A while ago I had two mice. One had passed away, and I had another in an open aquarium (mice can't get out of them. One day my rats found a way to get out. I got all the rats back in the cage, but the mouse was gone. A few days later I found my little mouse chewed to the bone in one of my droors. :(

-Edit-
I'm asking because I sometimes catch mice and roof rats with a cage-like trap with an automatic shutting door when something takes the bait. What I do after I catch them is release the captive outside to be "executed" by the neighborhood cats. The cats most of the time "play" with the victim before actually killing it. It may sound cruel but hey, I'm not the one killing.
Oh, and I hope the mice that you catch and give to the neighborhood cats bite you and give you some crazy disease that there's no cure for. You're a horrible person for doing that. If I threw you in a lion's cage and said it was okay because I wasn't the one killing you, I'm sure you'd have a moment of realization and not be such a cold cut *******. Excuse me for the flaming, but if you think it's okay to purposely catch a mouse, give it to a cat and expect that you're not responsible for your own goddamn amusement out of it then please see a psychologist.

Getting rid of mice as pests and such through mouse traps and what not are actually okay. Thinking it's okay to torture an animal by giving it to a cat to "execute it..." well that's just effing sickening.

You don't deserve to own rats or any animal for that matter. Jerk.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Ikamuni said:
Because I'm not planning on feeding mice as a staple. It's like, for once, I wanna see my rats go wild. I've never seen rats actually kill(except for mealworms)
That does make it different. That makes it WORSE.

Some people have to feed their snakes live because the snake won't take it any other way. You're talking about killing an innocent little creature just because you're bored and feel like being malicious.

And yes, YOU are the one killing the creature.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ikamuni

You need to employ brain to sense and THINK for a minute.

Are you or the cats the one wiht the free will?

That would be you.

THINK for a minute... just stop and THINK about what youre doing (or rather, thinking of doing) as well as the fact that you are advocating that SOME life is disposable. And all to satisfy a morbid curiousity? Im shocked and appalled that youve even had the temerity to post this.

I hope the responses that you have received deter you....I HOPE that you will choose to be a more responsible pet owner and less of a curiousity driven hedonist.

·
Registered
263 Posts
[flame]Geez. That is horrid.

Please. Go play Halo or join the Marines instead. You shouldn't need to take out personal problems on little creatures that don't even have a say in what goes on. Yes, your rat will get aggressive, unless it has an extreamly rare gene of constant mellow-ness. No, you should not toss out mice for the neighborhood cats to use as 'toys'.

My cats bring plenty of lizards to our doorstep. I scare the lizards from their mouths when I catch them eating one, though. I yell at them to no end when they catch a bird. It's not like they're starving-or even eating the things they kill. Just pointless murder, which is much like what you are doing.

And funny enough, it points out how extreamly selfish you can be. You're doing this for your sake, not for your rat's or the mouse's. You don't really seem to care much about another's life, do you?[/flame]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoa.

I sort of expected these replies but not to this degree.

Anyway, I don't see the rats/mice as innocent little creatures. They're pests. They destroy stuff. If I don't feed them to the cats outside they'll be 1) poured on boiling water to death or 2) drowned or 3) put in a plastic bag to suffocate. The above actions are performed by other household members and they do these because other ways of killing are messy. So I figured, since they're gonna die anyway why not make use of them? It's not like anyone(people) cared for them.

And I haven't fed my rats any non-plant living creature except for mealworms. Well, maybe at least that would sound good to you if you care.

zimmyzam said:
ust pointless murder, which is much like what you are doing.
1. Ridding the house of pests
2. I get to see a glimpse of what domestication has suppressed

I hope nobody sees me as evil. I'm just a normal guy. I don't do drugs or any other illegal stuff. Is it that bad for me to want to see animals in action?

·
Registered
263 Posts
XD YES!! YES IT IS!!

Innywho, I see what you're going for. But the concept of it all is wrong.

My friend used to have a fancy mouse-I can't judge for wild mice. If we have any inour neighborhood at all then the feral cats would've gotten them by now. The rest of the stuff sounds plain disgusting, I see why you opt for feeding them to cats. But it always puts a horrible immage in my mind to see something like Pepper getting put through a blender or cut open by a cat >>

And I wouldn't feed them to your rat. Think, they're probably all disease-ridden and full of bad, bad things. And the left overs... um... ew.... T.T;

Sorry for bashing you on feeding the cats, but I still strongly oppose feeding your rat a mouse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please don't be sorry. You were expressing your opinion.

But it always puts a horrible immage in my mind to see something like Pepper getting put through a blender or cut open by a cat
Then I think you're not a fan of the big cats.

So feeding wild mice/rats to my pets would be bad because of the possible diseases. Is there anything "ok" for my rats to hunt? Tracking down mealworms isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Anyway, what's the deal with rats/mice as snake food? Can anyone give me a link to an argument why rats/mice should not be fed to snakes? I really wanna know because some forum members did not react positively to what I had in mind. Maybe they share the anti rat as as snake food view.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They may seem like pests to you. But the truth is, they are wild animals and they are doing what animals do. Destroy things. Your own pet rats might or might not destroy things as well. I know my own pets do. All of them - cats, dogs, and rats. It's what they do. People destroy things too. Get over it. No one needs to TORTURE those poor little things just because they are being an animal. You can just release them outside. You don't need to hand them on a platter to cats, or boil them in water, or suffocate them or whatever. Let them go outside where they belong and that is that. If you don't like what domestication "has suppressed" turn on the tv to Discovery. Don't own pets. Sounds like you just want to see some animals kill each other and don't want to appreciate them for what they are.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts