Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had marley out the other day, and my dad tried to play with him. Chase him with his fingers, while he was under the blanket, that sort of thing. He ran around until he realized it was going to keep coming after him and then he will either run into his box-mansion or to my lap. I told him after a while that he doesn't understand what he's doing but like, after a minute he'll come back out and keep sniffing my dad.

I know they're smart creatures, and Rat Daddy will post saying his daughter could handle Fuzzy rat roughly and they'd sit there and deal with it until she was done with them. My dad does kind of the same thing, he'll pick him up and hold him really close and pet him while making a clicking noise with his tongue that he says "he likes it".

Marley's been alone for...a year and a half now. I never play with him like that, with my hand because when I'd do it with Clark I'd get bit. And Marley will turn around and jump up and put his paws on my hand and I can't tell if he's saying "What're you doing? stop!" or if he's playing back?

I've gotten a little off topic. Point is, what else can I do to play with him other than chasing him with my hand? Clark would chase kleenexes, but Marley won't. I got him a kitty ball, a plastic thing with a bell inside, and he would chase after it when I rolled and after a while, tore it to shreds.

I worry he's not entertained, even when out of cage all he does is sleep. He'll cuddle and brux and sometimes explore but...I don't want him bored. I've tried every kind of toy fabric, plastic and paper and wood, he won't chew anything except his cage bars.

How else can I stimulate him?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re-reading, there's some pronoun confusion in that first paragraph...
I told Dad after a while that Marley doesn't understand that Dad is trying to play with him. He makes a weird clicky noise with his tongue the WHOLE time he's petting Marley, and when I ask why he's doing it he'll say "Marley likes it".

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just found out that both my rats love feathers. I taped some to the end of a stick (like those cat toys) , because I got accidently bit when my fingers were to close to the feathers. They really go crazy over It, biting, swatting and chasing It, like a kitten would.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts