Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of regret getting my current cage before looking at more options.

Is there anything you guys have done that you regret? Bought a toy that just didn't work out? Newbie mistakes? Etc..

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think one regret would be not just saving up to get a good cage and going through muliple crappy ones. I could of bought the dcn again with the money I wasted making the crappy cages work.(Thankfully now I have one) This is my first piece of advice to new rat owners. Second is they love that cracker box as much (or more) than the 15 dollar hide away house, haha.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know about regrets but things I have learned-Let a rat keep her nest if she loves it as much as mine does (constantly arranging, remodeling, adding, cleaning, etc. to her nest that is more than 10 inches in diameter, she is only 8 long without tail) LUSH paper bags make wonderful rat toys, health food store bulk paper bags make great rat toys. Rats coerce you into spending $$$ on expensive toys when the 99c cat balls are what they really want. Rat size tennis balls are cheaper when you get the ones made for dogs, not cats. Riccola cough drops are fun for rats to steal. Newspaper is glorious. Timothy hay is fun to hide food in. Some rats like to shove their heads in to, and look around in, their water bowls. If a rat escapes, treats are very helpful for calling them back to you. Dog treats (healthy ones) are cheaper and often better for rats, than small animal treats. Many baby food drops are better than Yogies. If it's theirs, it's theirs, and if it's yours, it's also theirs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts