Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my 11 week old girls for about a week. Two days ago, Speedy suddenly looked like she had swallowed a ping pong ball. Her stomach is squishy, not hard.

Update for new readers: she was pregnant, and had 12 babies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Still-skinny Luna. They used to look exactly alike, aside from their brown markings.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That definitely looks like pregnancy. Do you have a separate large cage set up for her and her growing babies?
Also give her a cashew every now and then, helps with milk production 🙂

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had my 11 week old girls for about a week. Two days ago, Speedy suddenly looked like she had swallowed a ping pong ball. Her stomach is squishy, not hard.

When we were cuddling she peed on me, which never happens, and it smelled very strong. The cage has an unusually strong/harsh smell since I noticed.

She is acting normal otherwise, eating, not constipated - pooping everywhere. Maybe drinking more than normal.

I had given them some new treats recently; off brand cheerios, which apparently make my mom burp, and tomato and lettuce that I was later told was starting to go off.
Is she just gassy from what I fed her?

·
Registered
9 Posts
How many cheerios did you give your little friend? It’s important to realize that even though Cheerios (or cheerio-like cereals) are small to you and me, to our little rat friends they are as big as a donut in our mouths. I break each cheerio up into 2 or 3 pieces and give them to them that way to my girls. The Cheerios last longer and don’t cause gastric issues or weight problems. Look at the fiber content in that cheerio-like cereal you’re giving to them. Did you happen to wash the tomato and lettuce you gave? If it’s not organic, there could be pesticide residues, which could also cause gastric and other health issues. In any event, too much fiber at once can cause gas in any of us, including our little wee friends.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How many cheerios did you give your little friend? It’s important to realize that even though Cheerios (or cheerio-like cereals) are small to you and me, to our little rat friends they are as big as a donut in our mouths. I break each cheerio up into 2 or 3 pieces and give them to them that way to my girls. The Cheerios last longer and don’t cause gastric issues or weight problems. Look at the fiber content in that cheerio-like cereal you’re giving to them. Did you happen to wash the tomato and lettuce you gave? If it’s not organic, there could be pesticide residues, which could also cause gastric and other health issues. In any event, too much fiber at once can cause gas in any of us, including our little wee friends.
Did you miss the part about the rat being pregnant?

·
Registered
Winter Snow, Dovahkiin (Dova/Dragon), Nibbles, Dumbo. All 3 month old rats
16 Posts
One of my girls i got from the pet store about 2 weeks ago is suddenly bloated. What were helpful signs to look out for. Because idk if she's pregnant or not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts