Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
446 Posts
Good luck, I hope you keep us updated!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

The babies got moved in with the big rats, because mama chewed a hole in the baby cage (large storage tub).
The babies are having a great time exploring, but the adults have retreated to the highest spot they can find.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The babies got moved in with the big rats, because mama chewed a hole in the baby cage (large storage tub).
The babies are having a great time exploring, but the adults have retreated to the highest spot they can find.
That's almost too cute for words.
(I don't blame them at all! :ROFLMAO:)

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
27 Posts
Those are so adorable! ❤🐭
But I noticed some things about the cage pictured, if you don’t want any constructive suggestions do not read the rest XD

Some things I noticed:
~The cage in the picture has a tank as the lower part, this is dangerous to rats immune and respiratory systems and they might develop a respiratory infection.
~The cage looks like there is not much enrichment, I would suggest adding a few things or moving things around very often to keep your rats from getting bored!
~You will have to get another cage at some point because when your rat babies get older, some will be male and they will try to breed with their sisters, mom, or aunt unless you already sold them to responsible homes!
~The cage in the picture may or may not be to small, I would check to see if it matches the cage requirements: 2 cubic feet per adult rat and probably 2 cubic feet per 2 baby rats?..
~The cage pictured also looks like it has wire flooring which is also unsafe, your rats may develop bramblefoot which is hard to cure.

None of this is meant to be rude, I just wanted to let you know about these things because you probably want to give your rats the best life possible! If I was wrong about anything, I apologize and please inform me so I don’t spread false information! I hope this helped you~ ❤🐭

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I understand, it does look a bit bare right now. I had to take some ropes and toys out, to make space for babies and be safer for them. The babies are being rehomed soon, so this is just temporary.
I usually have felt cage liners with newspaper or puppy pads underneath, to avoid ammonia buildup issues, and the wire bit is made of tiny squares, so no toe catching.
I've only had my critters a month, so I'm still building up my toy supply, but I have a variety of homemade foraging toys and activities on rotation.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts