Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my rattie Ravioli was my first rat- and then I got my second rat Nico, and they were the perfect match and got along perfectly! Nico ended up getting cancer and passing away :(((. Anyways Ive been also fostering DFL baby/younger rats through this pandemic. But they always end up being very violent to Ravioli. Ive been slowly introducing them and doing it the way I did it when bringing Nico into his new home. Ive done sooo much research and I think Ive been doing it all right???? Should i just try fostering/ or adopting older rats to join the family or should I keep trying with the babies? Ravioli is too close to my heart and I want him to have friends but the younger rats are always beating him up :(. He seems to be doing okay living on his own- no signs of depression after Nico passed. But he did seem happier to have a cuddle buddy. Im just lookin for some advice regarding how to get a new boy into my lil family...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Normally people say to get younger rats for an older rat since they would be less territorial then the older one, but as you said younger rats can be more energetic and you would need to get at least two in case your older rat passes and to keep each others energy level down. You can try fostering older rats to see how Ravioli reacts to them but it really depends on the rat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm. This is a total shot in the dark since it sounds like you and Rex are more familiar with this ... Would it be possible to have Ravioli and his potential cagemate in separate cages which are very close to each other? I wonder if that would give them time to get used to the other's smell and presence, put a little of Ravioli's bedding into potential cagemate's enclosure and vice versa ... but otherwise managing to find an older rat who is already more chill sounds simplest. Best of luck !!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts