Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was letting the boys out to play and Raz-ma-taz just started squeaking for no reason and refused to come out....when I was able to get him out he would squeak at himself, me and almost everything for no reason! I thought maybe it was because he got a bath yesterday and he HATES baths....but he has gotten many baths and has never acted this way..

I'm really worried....I know the boys get into tussles a lot but he has never acted this way towards me...or this w ay at all...he's normally a big love bug who loves to be scratched....

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do a full and gentle check of his body. Test his legs and make sure he hasn't hurt himself badly. My boys used to get in tussles and pull ligaments. They did it several times. They needed an anti-inflamitary from the vet and rest for a day or so (I separated them into a small cage for a couple of days, but kept the cage next to the other one so that they weren't alone, just couldn't run around).

If you can't find anything obvious, just keep an eye on his behaviour, see if he acts unwell at all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...i will check him over and see if he's hurt anywhere or in pain.....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've checked his legs and felt all over his body and nothing seems to be hurting him....I had to get him out of his cage with something over my hand so he wouldn't bite me....he is i guess frightened when i hold him even though i've had him for over 8 months and he's always been a love bug....he only did this for a second but his body kinda shook forward a every few seconds but then stopped ....it isn't happening now though...he is more content sitting in the pocket of my hoodie...but is not completely relaxed ....I took him out of my room away from my other boy and he was a tad bit calmer but still squeaks when I'm holding him and would only chill for a second if I gently held the scruff of his neck while petting his head....I'm wondering if he is just super territorial for some reason or i should take him to the vet..

I just thought i'd mention that the boys have been fighting more for a little while now and there was a scratch/bite on pip's foot and i feel scabs on pip in some places....i'm wondering if pip's behavior is causing this fighting or this fighting has soemthing to do with his behavior....

I read through some earlier posts ands some people mentioned mites causing irritability and aggression towards other ratties....is this a possibility?

I was lokking over him agan and found a slight bit of porphyrin on the edge of his nose....can this be because of the stress he is apparently going through or could he be ill and this be causing the behavior issues....

PLease help if you can!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm, it might well be male aggression. And I agree that the porphrin is due to his stress.

I've had lots of boys in the past and many get on very easily. But sometimes you get a boy who just will not tolerate any other males, and they're often not the dominant one. If you think that's the problem, then see if your vet will give him an injection of Tardak. That's a hormonal depressant. I've used it on aggressive boys before. It takes a few days to kick in and you may need a second jab within a week or two. If it works, it should suppress his hormones for a couple of months. At eight months, he is in the stage where he is most affected by his hormones.

Seems a bit odd that he'd squeak when you've got him though, normally with boys like that it's just the other male rats that upset them. But I have had a lad who would actually attack my hand if I had the smell of other males on me. Gave me a few nasty nips, he did! I ended up having to fully desex him to stop the aggression and he became a different man after that.

The other possibility, relating to the shivering you noticed, is seizures. They will often just shiver when they're afraid and that's quite likely, but you can't rule out the possibility that he's having a seizure.

Does your vet know rats very well? It's a good idea to take him down, whether he's got a medical problem or needs a Tardak injection.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had him for about 8 months but he is a little over 11 months....the local vet treats rats but doesn't have much experience with them....I'm looking at vets farther away with more experience with pocket pets and rats and hoping to schedule an appointment soon.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did some research and stuff and discovered that Raz and Pip had mites and have been treated for them...So far razzy has already been acting normal again and has been his normal lovey self! I am so relieved!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have twelve rats myself. One of my females squeaks randomly when she is not being bothered. Usually when all the other rats are settled in and not moving around, he will kind of lay down next to them and just start making this short repeatative squeak. When I go to check on her, and if she sees me, she will stop. She's not the most stress free rat of the bunch and was a VERY aggressive mother when she had her babies but she seems fine and is not even very aggressive now. She seems to be taking a chill pill every morning lol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah...Raz has a squeaky nature but he wouldn't stop squeaking and being aggressive , but now he's acting normal and is actually less squeaky than before :)

He's just being calmer and not feeling like everyone's out to get him :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts