• Yeah but is ok..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He is Happy Right, that is all that matters

• He is just right!

• He needs extra food!

• You can see his Ribs, I'm calling Animal Control!

• If he ate a horse he might look better!

• 'm an Idiot!

• You're and Idiot!

• You and I got confused on who to call an Idiot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Is my Rat really to Fat?

1. He can't get any vet help.
2. He's having a hard time dealing with his stress and you won't help him with a neuter.
3. He is overweight which is extremely unhealthy.
4. He's allowed to fight with a cat.

Shall I go on?

·
Registered
407 Posts

the difference between sizes of rats (as posted in stores) only refers to the age in reality. Most ppl dont realize this and the stores count on that. I know that I didnt know.

A small rat (selling @ 4.99 at petco) is nothing more than a young rat
A jumbo rat (selling @ 9.99 at petco) is no different than the small rat except in age.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

As DFW said, pet stores use "small" and "jumbo" to indicate age. You could easily interchange "small" with "baby" and "jumbo" with "adult". So it's no indicator at all.

Kittens can be different sizes (I'll not give my opinion on cat + rat, as you don't care anyway), but if you could put him in a photo with something like a pop can, or something that's always the same size, we might be able to have a better idea of your rat. Of course, weight would be the best indicator, but understandably, you don't know that (though a vet could find out, easily and be able to tell you if he's overweight).

·
Registered
343 Posts

I don't think you can just look at a picture and say if he is overweight or not. You have to take into account how BIG he is (not as in fat, I mean as in how he's built).

:-]

·
Registered
730 Posts

It sounds to me as though your rats needs to go on a diet ASAP if you want him to have a long and healthy life.

Just like in humans, a little 'fluffyness' is good and health, but obsese is outright dangerous. Carrying that extra weight will put stress on all his organs and joits, and shorten his lifespan considerable. As to the 'jumbo' thing, that is how petstores label their feeders so people know what to buy for their snake. There is no such thing as a true 'jumbo' rat. A rat is a rat is a rat.

From your description it sounds as though it's negatively impacting him, and should be viewed as as serious problem. I know you love your boy, and are trying to do your best by him, but if you wants him to live the longest life possible you'll start to cut down on his food.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Oh life, Addo is HUGE. He's not just round, he's also VERY long. The thing is, he's not really fat, he just seems to be seriously solid. He eats healthily, and runs around an awful lot. I can't understand it, I think he's just a big rat.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

There is no way to tell from the two pictures provided

If you really want to know you need to weigh him

It is not uncommon for a male rat to weigh 1 1/2 pounds or more.

The scales they sell for kitchen & dieters that weigh grams are the best. Another thing is that rats should be smooth & sleek in form... if your baby boy has man boobs then it would serve him well to lose some weight. I can't tell from the pictures if this is the case. All I can tell from the pictures is that no where does it look like he is fighting with a cat nor has anything been said about the rat being neglected by refusal to take him to a vet (or were there some posts removed?) or that the rat is suffering from stress

not sure why that was said but it really seems like some one is way out in left field on that

·
Registered
40 Posts

I agree it's hard to tell in pictures, but I think the word curvacious is much nicer than fat! Either way, I think if you are seeking an opinion, you probably have a feeling he is a little too curvy, so I suggest a little more exercise. You mentioned you started having them on your bed when you're in it, my rats loved that sort of thing too. We know you love him, and I'm sure no one has meant to upset you. Please let us know how he gets on. xx

·
Registered
10,640 Posts

A1APassion said:
All I can tell from the pictures is that no where does it look like he is fighting with a cat nor has anything been said about the rat being neglected by refusal to take him to a vet (or were there some posts removed?) or that the rat is suffering from stress

not sure why that was said but it really seems like some one is way out in left field on that
Mentioned in another thread
http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3664.html

Each rat is very individual you can have big rats that are big boned but not fat or small rats that are chubby. You want a sleek muscular silhouette, a layer of fat/muscle over the body (no ribs or pelvic bones easily felt), but you also do not want rolls and chubbiness. If a rat is overweight it can cause a lot of health problems, including heart problems, and development of bumblefoot (sores on hind feet soles), etc. They also will not be able to groom themselves properly adn may need help with "personal" cleaning, eg. checking for penis plugs daily, wipe downs if they cannot reach around their body to clean themselves properly etc.

I personally use a postal scale for weighing my crew. Its very accurate and a great tool for seeing future issues like unexplained weight loss or gain.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

A1APassion said:
I wouldn't write what I wrote without having the facts.
I can't read other posts and not take in the information that has been posted by the OP and not apply it here.
They have claimed, no money for vet, their rat is over weight, their rat is aggressive and that he's had his tail bit by a cat.
So... no, not way out in left field... more like eyes wide open.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

in reference to the locked breeding thread, please see new response.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

keelie said:
part of the locking of the breeding post was for the stopping of such post jorats. This is supposed to be put behind us, please let it go, you are obviously reading only what you want to read rather than everything that was posted. But enough is enough, please don't cause any more unwanted arguements as the admins have already made it clear that this is to stop. This is why the posts are missing because the admins have corrected this. So please let it be jorats.
:roll:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

KEELIE!!

you are once again in violation of the rules. 1b again of course but also 1n. excessive editting of posts like this is not allowed. you have been submitted to ratman for a temporary ban. i hope when you are allowed back you will have calmed down and grown up just a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.