Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Orphaned Babies Feeding Schedule (Advice)

Hi Guys & Girls! I recently shut down my rat rescue (have been doing it for eleven years), got contacted by a friend a couple of days ago that had come across an ad online about ten 1 1/2 week old rats for sale! After two hours of begging me to take them as I am the only one in my state that has rescued & has experience successfully raising babies I caved in! I have reported previous owner for animal neglect as babies are extremely tiny, they are 14+ days as eyes are open & they are moving around, they where severely starving & dehydrated when I got them they have since picked up but have on going respiratory problems that vet is trying to treat (hard as they are so fragile at the moment)... I am having a dilemma though with the feeding, they are still to tiny & weak to drink by themselves so having to syringe fed, I have always done the method "feed until they have had enough" but I did some additional research & found people are now saying feed only half there body weight (so if a rat is 6 grams, feed 3 mls?), I am just wanting opinions on what methods people have found work best with feeding, clearly I want what is best for them, so I am just curious on if I should feed half of there body weight only or wait for them to tell me they are full? Also any ideas on how to get the runt to pick up? he wants to be with me 24/7, is VERY tiny (probably no bigger then a pinky) but he does move around a lot but at night he gets very lethargic.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a thread on here somewhere about raising a baby rat when I raised my Toast. A year later I raised another baby named Crostini. They were a few days younger then your little guys. Here it is:

http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?89313-My-little-feeder-baby.

What I did with my guys when it came to feeding is I usually fed them as much as they wanted. I even took Crostini with me when I went places and took along two 1ml syringes filled with formula. He usually drank about 1 ml per feeding depending on how hungry he was. They were fed every two hours for the next week or so. Baby rats have really tiny tummies. Once your guys start crawling around and exploring you can try introducing them to baby cereal mixed with formula. If you have any questions feel free to message me. =P

1 - 2 of 2 Posts