1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Taking rats out

Hiya

Im the proud owner of 3 8 week old rats

Ratatoey
Stella
Celery

Stells escaped withint 2 minutes of gettin her out , i thought she get lost and die i was worried but after tearing my room out we found her then she got in to the bk of the radiator and it toook 20 minutes to poke her out
Just wonderin how can i hold them without worrying if they escape my hands they wont get lost , my room has many nooks and crannys
Jess x

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Some questions

I made you your own topic, just so you weren't hijacking someone else's thread ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts

Some rats love to explore...and with new rats they are just scared and trying to get used to their new envoirnment.
I got ringo saturday and you just have to be cautious with new rats. handle them a little bit at the time and soon they will get used to you. Food is always a good tactic. Ringo is already taking food from me and when my rat Adie gets lost in the couch we crinkle a chip back and she runs to the sound of it lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

time to rat proof the room

this means remove the nooks & crannies

or... use the bathroom, typically free of clutter, less areas to hide & much easier to clean up

·
Registered
626 Posts

one of my girls is exactly the same way, she would rather run loose like a wild child than hang out and snuggle. I found that the following things help to let her roam and stay out of harms way...

Close the closet door and the main door leading to the house, stuff sheets under the door so there is no way for them to excape.

Remove any clothing, towels, objects, etc from the floor so she won't go curl up in something and get lost/stepped on.

You said that you had a radiater in your room? I don't but I do have some larger objects that I cant move and just use large sheets of card board to sheild it and keep my little nosey intruder out! (make sure the radiator dosen't heat up the cardboard...)

Also, If you have a dresser that they could climb under, use the sheet tecnique, to make sure they can't get out of reach.

lastly, Ive found that making a cardboard building and setting it in the middle of the room seems to draw her attraction and she seems to stay there most of the time.

If you can try and make some sort of signal for your girls to let them know that they need to come to you. I'm working on rattling they're treats in the container and so far they're getting the idea.

Hope this helped (sorry it's kind of long...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts