Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh my gosh I can not believe this. I think my other rat swiss is pregnant. And believe me, this one was a total accident, because I cannot handle another litter right now. I am totaly stressing right now and I really don't want this to happen.

About well 19 days ago ALL of my rats got out. My 2 boys Stewie and brian got out of there cage while I was trying to clean it. And to make things worse my sister was right next to me cleaning the girls cage and guess what? Swiss got out too. So I am looking EVERYWHERE for them and I can't find them. Then when I look under my bed I see all of them. They where actually under my head board and it wieghs a LOT LOT LOT so I couldn't pick it up and move it to get them. My boys are not very well sosilized and they won't even get near me. So I try to get Swiss. She isn't buying the whole treat thing. So I give up for the day after trying to get them out for like the whole day. Well the thing is the next morning me and my WHOLE family where going to florida for a week. So if I didn't find them then they would have to stay there for a whole week. Well guess what, I couldn't get them and they where lose for a whole week.

But she looks like Cheese when she was prego. She isn't as big as she was but her nipples are showing alot and I think I feel babies in her belly. I don't know what to do.

If anyone wants to take her then PLEASE tell me. I really can't handle her right now with Cheeses litter and school is starting soon. Plus I don't have another sutible cage for raising babies.

I can't believe this happened. :cry:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Re: ****THIS CAN NOT BE HAPPENING****

We would take her (as we're 2 hours away), but we are beyond our max limit, even with many of the rats in foster homes.

I suggest getting an e-spay ASAP. I think you said no way last time, but that will prevent babies again.

My suggestion for the future is not to clean cages with the rats inside. Use the bathtub, or a playpen, or have someone play with them in another room.

Have you talked to your parents and told them that she may be pregnanat? Sounds like they need to decide what needs to be done (and HUMANELY, I hope).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

well ive told my dad and he doesnt really care he just says "ok"... i havnt told my mom because she doesnt really like rats and she will get mad. Wich she will say the same thing my dad did. But i dont want to get an e-spay. I think thats cruel. Killing the babies just because of what i did.

·
Registered
798 Posts

try to contact some shelters around you, they can help you to rehome the babies, you could act as a foster parent for them until homes are found, thats kinda what im doing with my baby panda hamsters. It is really important to be responsible, and I don't want you to feel as though I'm chewing you out, but had I have been stuck in this situation, I would have done EVERYTHING possible to get them out...especially before leaving them for a week. You kind of got yourself into this mess by not moving that heavy head board. :s

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

well you havnt see my head bord... its solid oak and it is like 7ft wide and like 6ft tall.... its huge!

·
Registered
358 Posts

Renay, Im sure she did try EVERYTHING, possible. I as well have a headboard and so does my mom. They can be extremely heavy and once they are in it takes a lot to remove them.

I would take your girl, but you live VERY far away. Im sorry to hear about this and Im sure, all in good time, you will find someone to take her. :[

·
Registered
798 Posts

Lol I have a head board to, and I don't care if it would have taken the entire canadian army, our whole 3 submarines and all, I would have moved it before leaving them for a week. Like I said, I'm not trying to chew you out, but what if they had died while you were on vaca? Its irresponsible. My guinea pig got lost underneath my house. My mother and I tried for three days straight before finally catching him... It just takes a little extra effort.. and a house is a bit of a bigger problem than a head board. Anyway I wish you the best of luck, and this is a good lesson for all of us actually...

·
Registered
181 Posts

Was your other female in the same room in a cage with bars on it? Or any small openings like that? Because if so, she very well could be pregnant again. You need to get another setup to put them in when you are cleaning their cages. Or only clean one cage at a time. It honestly sounds like you shouldn't have both sexes. At the very least you shouldn't have both sexes in the same room..

·
Registered
655 Posts

Sorry for you and your rats, very stressful time.
Good example of why spaying is a good plan

·
Registered
10,640 Posts

Clean cages one at a time, ALWAYS! Remove rats to do this, as it stresses them out and/or they might bite you to protect their territory.

I cannot believe you left animals on their own for a week. Did you put out food and water at least so they didn't die while you were away?? You never mentioned that.

And yes an e-spay is the responsible thing right now. I think you should look into neutering your boys, rehoming your boys or putting their cages in another room.

How old is Swiss? If she's older then you could have real complications with the pregnancy/birth.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

an e-spay is not a cruel thing though it may sound it. with all the rats out there now being killed simply because there is no home for them and they are taking up space in a shelter adding to the problem even if it is "just one litter" is cruel. finding homes for the babies is going to be hard and you already said you don't have time for it. finding a home for mom while she's pregnant will be equally as hard. unless of course you don't care who she goes with but then she can be neglected, hurt or killed along with the babies (before or after they are born). the spay will have tons of health benefits for your girl and the babies aren't going to know hte difference. in fact the girl may not even know the difference.

the responsible and humane thing to do if you don't have the money or time for this litter is to terminate it. its better they know no life then one in which they are not given enough attention or adequate spacing or neglect. an e-spay is not cruel.

·
Registered
181 Posts

I agree entirely with Twitch.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Rodere said:
Was your other female in the same room in a cage with bars on it? Or any small openings like that? Because if so, she very well could be pregnant again. You need to get another setup to put them in when you are cleaning their cages. Or only clean one cage at a time. It honestly sounds like you shouldn't have both sexes. At the very least you shouldn't have both sexes in the same room..
Well my females with the babies was at a different home while we went on vaction so I'm positive she isn't pregnant. And the person that was watching her for me doesn't have any male rats anyway.

I cannot believe you left animals on their own for a week. Did you put out food and water at least so they didn't die while you were away?? You never mentioned that.
Yes I put food out for them in a couple places around the house and the same with water bottles. But you guys really have no idea how long I tried to get them out. But this had to happen the night before i had to get up at like 4 in the morning to get on a plane.

an e-spay is not a cruel thing though it may sound it. with all the rats out there now being killed simply because there is no home for them and they are taking up space in a shelter adding to the problem even if it is "just one litter" is cruel. finding homes for the babies is going to be hard and you already said you don't have time for it. finding a home for mom while she's pregnant will be equally as hard. unless of course you don't care who she goes with but then she can be neglected, hurt or killed along with the babies (before or after they are born). the spay will have tons of health benefits for your girl and the babies aren't going to know hte difference. in fact the girl may not even know the difference.

the responsible and humane thing to do if you don't have the money or time for this litter is to terminate it. its better they know no life then one in which they are not given enough attention or adequate spacing or neglect. an e-spay is not cruel.
I know it's not actually cruel but I just don't think it's right. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's not like they are going to be neglected but I just don't want to deal with another litter right now. I was wanting to put everything into Cheeses litter. I guess if nobody will take her then I will have to buy another 20gallon tank or something. I can handle them but I would rather not with school starting in like 2 weeks. But if she has them then she has them. My nearest rat rescue is like 2 hours away and i believe they are a non kill rescue so they probably wouldn't have room anyway. But i will try to get ahold of them to maby see if they could meet me half way. And if anyone can take her please tell me.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I think it is a tad bit irresponsible to not even consider an e-spay.. =\

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

savveth said:
I think it is a tad bit irresponsible to not even consider an e-spay.. =\
im sorry everyone thinks im irresponsible for not wanting to stop babies from coming into the world.

·
Registered
798 Posts

lol they're babies that you would rather not have to take care of anyway, so why bring them into the world to begin with, I'm sorry but this is starting to get very childish.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

renay said:
lol they're babies that you would rather not have to take care of anyway, so why bring them into the world to begin with, I'm sorry but this is starting to get very childish.
ok im sorry but i just dont want to stop rats from coming into the world. I guess Im kinda touchy about it. Sorry

·
Registered
343 Posts

Not everyone agree's with taking lifes just because its not a convenient time for them to be born. Just like some people do not agree with abortion in humans.

I do not think its fair to call that person with different views about life childish or irresponsible, just because your views are different.

Before you jump to conclusions about ME I will point out right now, I am not against e-spay *to an extent*. I bought a horse and then got a call from the previous owner that she might be pregnant. Since we had no idea who the sire might be (he could have lord knows what kind of genetic problems) we called the vet out to give her a shot to abort the foal. It was to soon for there to even be life inside of her so I still feel it was right.

If you are to get the rat an e-spay, I highly suggest doing it right away, as to hopefully the end lives before they start developing.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts