Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my baby girl has been experiencing a bunch of health issues: porphyria staining, wheezing, limping, not eating/drinking that much, falling over, weight loss, and sleeping all the time(totally unlike her). She's about two years old and I knew this when I adopted her but I have a feeling this might be her time.
I'm taking her to a vet today but if it's something I can't afford to treat should I try to find someone who will be able to pay for treatment and love her or should I euthanize? I don't want her to leave either way but if I don't prepare myself I'll probably just break down and that'll be good for no one.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hopefully it will just be something antibiotics might be able to help with. It shouldn't be too expensive for just a vet visit plus 1 or 2 meds. The porphyrin, wheezing, and possibly the tiredness could be URI symptoms. But the other things might be something else. I would describe the symptoms carefully to your vet. Maybe also ask about the likelyhood of a pituitary tumor. If they suspect pituitary tumor, there's nothing really that can be done except to keep her comfortable. If she's effected so much that she's unhappy and isn't experiencing good quality of life anymore, the best thing to do would have her put to sleep.

But it's worth a shot to try to treat a URI with antibiotics and give her a lot of baby food and tasty foods to fatten her up, maybe she will feel better and stop showing these symptoms after she starts her meds.

Good luck, I hope the vet doesn't think it's anything too serious. Let us know what they said about her.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Recently my baby girl has been experiencing a bunch of health issues: porphyria staining, wheezing, limping, not eating/drinking that much, falling over, weight loss, and sleeping all the time(totally unlike her). She's about two years old and I knew this when I adopted her but I have a feeling this might be her time.
I'm taking her to a vet today but if it's something I can't afford to treat should I try to find someone who will be able to pay for treatment and love her or should I euthanize? I don't want her to leave either way but if I don't prepare myself I'll probably just break down and that'll be good for no one.
what youre describing happen to my girl Stewie. She was also about 2 years old. I decided myself after watching her struggle and treating her with a pet store medication, that she was no longer enjoying life, and had her euthanized. it was the hardest thing i've ever done but in my heart, I feel it was right. That was May 8th and I still get tears when I write this :$ Whatever you choose you have to feel its right. She is quite old for a rat and maybe its just time... im so sorry for this, I know it hurts <3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts