Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little rat Brooklyn has been sneezing a lot lately...he sleeps with us in the big bedroom in their cage and I always leave the heating on as it's quite cold in Manchester right now. I don't have a car to take him to the vet and the one around here is really expensive. I took him out to play earlier because his sneezing was so bad it woke me up, and he stopped when he was playing.

Is there anything I can do to help him? until I can afford the vet? I hate seeing him suffer it's really hard. He is still himself, still eats, plays, comes up to us for cuddles and drinks. The only difference is that I have filled the bottom of the cage with white soft paper bedding (as opposed to towel which they destroyed)...could this be it? I have used it in the past as bedding and it didn't seem to cause any problems...

·
Registered
97 Posts
It really could be the bedding. You can try switching them to fabric again and see if it changes anything. I believe towels are advised against because rats can get their toes caught in it, but I have no experience with that. I use a combination of fleece and paper towels, plus litter boxes. My rats get sneezy from some kinds of bedding, and when I first got rats, one of mine got an allergic reaction to the bedding I got and her face swelled up. I felt so bad about it and babied her to the point where she's obsessed with me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a girl that has battled with myco flare-ups (and is just generally sneezy) her whole life, and it does not help that she just seems super sensitive to new smells. She has to be strictly kept on fleece and paper cat bedding. Is he squinty eyed, hunch backed, or displaying loss of appetite? Those are all usually things that scream NEEDS MEDICATION, If he is acting himself and sounds clear and not congested he should be fine. Some things that I use for Osmics (my sneezy girl) when she is feeling bad are raw honey and 80 - 90% cocoa dark chocolate (A chocolate chip sized piece a day). A little each day in moderation. Raw honey boosts the immune system and is also supposed to help with allergies, and dark chocolate is said to relieve some URI symptoms. I hope your boy feels better soon :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
It really isnt that expensive to take them to the vets if your in the UK, it was £35 for a consultation and medication for 3 rats (anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory). Live in little old stoke and there are vets everywhere atleast 2 within walking distance and a minimum of 5 that are easily accessible by bus. I would of thought living in a large city like manchester there would be atleast a few relatively easily accessible vets and if you ring around you should be able to find one that is a reasonable price.

If his sneezing really is that bad he does need to see a vet, the earlier you catch these things the less damage that is done

amy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your input. I did what you suggested and bought some dark chocolate, he loved it! And I also read somewhere that baby food was good, so they each had a nibble of some mixed veg baby food.

I swapped the bedding for fleece, and cleaned out the cage. Also, we had an air freshener on the cupboard next to where they live so I moved it to another room. He is doing SO much better. His eyes were a bit crusty yesterday, and they've cleared right up! He has almost stopped sneezing and seems more active too....still playing with Austin and running around the bedroom :)

Will keep a close eye on him. There is a vet not far from here so if it gets worse I'd rather pay to have him seen. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
If there was an air freshener nearby, that could have been what was causing the issues. There's another thread on the boards that say not to have those in the same room. Glad to hear he's feeling better :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts