Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday, my rat got 1 cm degloved near the tip of her tail. It's not infected and seems to be healing well. I've put her back with her cagemate, but since the accident, she's been acting weird. She's been trying to get to the spot where she got hurt (under the couch) by running out of the cage and even jumping from my shoulder or hips to the floor. She's very rambunctious with her cagemate and comes to the front of the cage when I say hi but will run as soon as the cage opens. She was always so lively and I'm really worried since I don't know how to help her recover from the degloving. She's not hostile or anything like that and is very affectionate towards her cagemate. How can I help her? Do I have to redo trust training? What about her trying to get away from me to run towards the couch?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
She is most likely in pain from degloving her tail. Do you have any metacam or baby ibuprofen to help with the pain?I would keep the cage extra clean for the next few weeks. If you use fleece liners, change them every day or every other day. Same with her favorite sleeping spot. You don't want her degloved tail to become infected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been giving her baby aspirin crushed up and mixed with banana baby food to make sure she eats it. I've also cleaned it daily although it is scabbed over, along with daily changing the lining and washing the litter tray.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
So she was degloved 2.5 days ago? Usually you give pain medication right away but just for a couple of days (infant liquid ibuprofen like Advil is most effective for pain and swelling, handy to keep in the cupboard for any injuries to your rats), keep the cage/area clean, and once its scabbed over you just leave it to heal normally. Watch for swelling, red streaks, etc any signs of infection but most minor deglovings heal well. I don't think she's that traumatized, it sounds more like she just wants to go to the couch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts